Please sign in to post.

Should I rent a car?? Updated : thank you I will not rent a car !!

Hi I have made this itinerary ( feel free to comment on it) ... I still have 2 more nights that I do not no where to use them.
But muy question is, should I rent a car??

Milan 1N
MODENA 2N
CIRQUE TERRE 4N
FLORENCE 3N
NAPLES 3 N
SORRENTO 3N
AMALFI 4
ROME 2N

Also, any stay recommendations will be appreciated, my idea was to be around $100* (updated on bottom) per night if that is posible, but stay in a charm place, maybe family owned place. If breakfast is included even better !!

*UPDATE: Ok I will update my budget between $100 and $200

if anybody has a recommendation I will appreciate I will like smalls boutique hotel in some places with breakfast included and for the bigger cities bigger hotels, breakfast included.

Again, thank you so much!!!
Vero

Posted by
6068 posts

I don’t see anywhere in your itinerary where you would need or want a car
The entire itinerary can easily be done by train

4 nights in CT seems like a lot, same with 4 in Amalfi after 3 in Sorrento

Rome needs more than 2 nights which gives you only 1 full day

$100/night is probably not possible

I see you have deleted your previous posts again that addressed this itinerary so I won’t be commenting on your posts again

Posted by
3245 posts

100 US Dollars is less than 93 Euros. Your budget is not realistic for the destinations listed. If you can't increase your budget, consider shortening your trip.

Posted by
15810 posts

I'll agree that there's no need for a car for the destinations you list. In fact, it would just be a headache dealing with one in most of those.

...my idea was to be around $100 per night if that is posible

What time of year, and how many will be traveling in your group? Off top of my head, I'll wager that you're going to have a pretty difficult time finding much for $100 a night in most of the locations you list, especially during high season, and especially if there are more than 2 of you. Heck, you'd have a hard time finding decent accommodations for that little here in the States! That said, you might look at offerings at some of the monasteries/convents or hostels that offer private rooms?

https://www.monasterystays.com
https://www.hostelworld.com
www.booking.com

A suggestion? It would be really helpful if you wouldn't delete your previous posts. There was background information in some of them that would be useful for us when answering your newest questions. :O)

Posted by
238 posts

You don't need a car. I think $100 per night is tough, depends on when you go and with how much anticipation you book, but $125 to $150 a night is more realistic. Use Booking.com with an phone or an iPad because some properties give mobile discounts.

Milan 1N
MODENA 2N
CIRQUE TERRE 3N
FLORENCE 4N
NAPLES 3 N
SORRENTO 3N
CAPRI 2
AMALFI 2
ROME 4N

Posted by
15174 posts

No need for a car. Use the car rental savings to increase the nightly hotel, because you’ll need at least $150 a night in those locations. I like Marco’s allocation of nights, but you might also consider removing the Capri nights and add those to Sorrento. You can easily visit Capri for a day (or more) commuting by boat from Sorrento. Staying in Capri will really set you back in terms of budget. Capri is not cheap.

Posted by
2111 posts

For all of you who have a desire to help, be aware this poster has a history of asking questions and then deleting their post after folks answer.

Posted by
37 posts

DougMac , I only delete the post to not overcrowd this place with my questions...

I delete the posts as my trip is taking form...not point to keep my older posts where I ask for destinations advice when I already edited and picked my locations

thank you

Posted by
2111 posts

DougMac , I only delete the post to not overcrowd this place with my questions..

OK, no worries. I appreciate your desire to not clutter, but you don't have to worry. There's plenty of room and posts naturally get pushed down over time.

I still think your itinerary needs work. You've allocated 4 nights to CT, 3 nights to Florence and just two nights (one day) to Rome. Beyond a couple of post card views and a few trails, there's not much else to CT compared to a wealth of varied sights and activities in Florence and Rome.

I wish I could go back and look at your prior posts, but I tried and they are all gone. There are some questions that would have been easily answered if I could see those prior posts, such as when you plan to go. IIRCC, you plan on going in June, part of the high season. I don't think you are being realistic about finding any accommodations, much less some at your price point in a lot of places, especially CT and AC. Are you the one who had found inexpensive accommodations in Sorrento/Amalfi? If so I would really be careful. Compare the prices to other places in the area. If they are way cheaper, something is wrong. How did you find them? Share a link.

I'm seeing a lot of red flags. I think you need to do a lot more homework. Like many others here, my wife and I are long time seasoned independent travelers in not only Europe but also in the US, Central America and Africa.

Posted by
27122 posts

Please do not delete your old posts. We spend a lot of time answering question on this forum. Much of the information is useful to others, not just to you. It saves time for everyone if folks scan back through the forum or use the Search function to see whether their questions have already been answered before creating a new thread. By deleting your posts, you are eliminating a good source of that information.

Posted by
4384 posts

Now that we've covered the deletion issue--I wholeheartedly agree, please don't delete! It is really dispiriting to type a long reply and have it disappear, as later users can read it--let's get back to your question:

1) No need or benefit from a car in this itinerary.
2) For accommodations, try Booking.com, where you can sort for things like breakfast and cost. All reviews there are verified.

Posted by
11180 posts

A budget of ~185 euro per night for lodging for 2 does limit your choices. If the trip is this summer, you need to hustle before the bones are picked bare, of the decent places at that price point.

Posted by
15174 posts

Using Bookings.com or similar website, see what you can find at the price you are willing to pay. I don't know when you are going but I think you will be able to find several decent options in the 150€-180€ range, even in high season. In the heat of summer the Amalfi Coast area is very busy (and therefore expensive), but elsewhere there will be plenty of choices at that range.

In Rome try the San Francesco hotel in Trastevere or the San Remo hotel near Termini.

In Florence try the Hotel La Scaletta.

In Cinque Terre try Hotel Pasquale in Monterosso. Or if too busy or expensive, try a town outside the 5 Cinque Terre villages, like Levanto or Bonassola. They are just minutes away by train and they are not as expensive (use Bookings.com).

Breakfast is included in virtually all hotels nowadays.