Please sign in to post.

short Italy trip May 2010

Excuse me for rambling but I need the advice of RS followers. Six of us ladies are going to Italy next May & we are working around Memorial Day due to those that are still employed. 2 of us have been to Italy before but the other 4 haven't. I feel the "big 3", Rome, Florence & Venice are a must but we will only have 7 nights total because 1 of the ladies can't take more than a weeks vacation due to company policy. ugh! How would you spend those 7 nights? I'm just stressed that due to the cost to even get to Italy & then the time it takes to travel once there that the ladies who never have been & who I know for a fact will never return will miss out on some other places I think they would enjoy much less enough time in any given town to do it justice. Some of them are willing & able to stay longer. Would you just suggest sending those home who can't stay longer? My gosh we are all 60 so it's not like we have a lifetime to travel. Our first trip together was 2 years ago to London but we spent the entire time there so 7 nights was fine because we got to see & do so much but now we are talking about an entire country. Am I just getting too worked up over nothing? I enjoy reading all the different posts each day on this website & trust especially those regular posters with their opinions.
Thanks for your time & help.

Posted by
7737 posts

Yep. Send the one "7 day" friend home after one week and the rest of you stay longer. You list all the reasons to do that.

Posted by
45 posts

I would start by each person listing what they want to see in Italy. Rate them to the top 10 sites,and compare. It may become obvious that 7 days will not be enough time to please everybody. Or, everybody's top 10 might all be centered in Rome and Venice, and then 7 days might very well be doable.

In my opinion, both Rome and Venice are places requiring a lot of walking around. That eats time, and makes scheduling difficult for tight schedules. In my opinion, 1 or 2 days in Venice will give you a decent taste of the city, while you need much more time in Rome to see Acient Rome, the Vatican, Modern Rome, and day trips to places like Pompeii. So, accurately determining just how much you will be able to see in one day comfortably may make the decision for you.

I will be taking 1 day in Venice, 1 day in Milan, and 2 days in Rome this year with a day trip to Pompeii. Since I have been there before many years ago, I find this just barely acceptable. However, I do not fully expect to see even remotely everything I want to see, and will fly home exhausted. Since I do expect to be able to do it all again someday, it is not much of a concern for me. However, you expressed concerns about some of you not being able to return, so I agree with the other posters and suggest extended stays for those who can, and priority given to those who can't.

Posted by
409 posts

Wow! This should get some interesting responses. My two cents:
- Fly into Venice; stay two nights
- Train to Florence; stay two nights
- Train to Rome; stay three nights
- Then see your one friend off at the Rome airport and continue on to either a good, central location in Tuscany or use Sorrento as a central point for Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi, etc.
- Then fly home out of either Rome, Florence, or Naples.
Can't wait to read the other posts!

Posted by
354 posts

With high-speed trains and open-jaw flights, you could split time between two of those cities and not feel too rushed. Packing in three cities in seven days can be done, of course, but would be very hectic.

Posted by
1317 posts

I agree with Lamont. 2 cities very doable, but 3 is a push. I assume the 7 days also includes you flying over and back.

I would say take a poll between yourselves. If it were me, I'd probably prioritize the trip so that the person who can only stay a week sets the agenda to start with (say she is dying to see Rome but doesn't care so much about Venice). Start in Rome and then shed those who have to sadly go home and move onto some of the other locations that the rest of your group would like to see.

Posted by
187 posts

Sorry I don't know how to do an addendum to my original post. Based on a 2010 calendar we would leave May 22, 2010 arrive Sunday 23rd & come home either Sunday 5/30 or our Memorial Day, Monday 5/31.
That gives us either 7 or 8 nights in Italy not counting travel. I've traveled enough to know some places warrant more than 2 nights & definately no one-nighters. I've learned my lesson, I will not plan any more trips with my 5 friends for less than a 10 night stay & those that are still working will just have to figure it out. Don't mean to sound ugly but that's just the way it is.

Posted by
1003 posts

I would have to agree with Michael's posting.

I think trying to see Rome, Forence, and Venice in that short of a time would be dificult. I would cut one of them out. Trying to cram all that into such a short time would be very frustrating for me. I would get home feeling that I saw lots but yet saw nothing.

Posted by
927 posts

We Like rambling here Stephanie!

There is a lot involved in your post. I can feel what you are being stressed about - some, "will miss out on some other places...," this can't be helped no matter how you set up the itinerary.

Don't cheat those that can stay longer by cutting the trip short for one that can't. 60 is nothing, you are all not even old by the new standards of longevity.

Rent Six Vespas and be a Hell Raising Posse through the streets of Rome! Thats something I'd like to see.

Posted by
2349 posts

The very first thing you should do is stand in a circle holding hands and burn all your varying resentments in a fire. Well, maybe not that, but your should all discuss and then release these issues. No resentment for the one with a short time to spend, or for the ones with longer time available. No resentment for the ones retired, or still working. Everyone should go for the amount of time and money they have available, and not be angry at other's choices or circumstances. THEN you can all discuss a reasonable itinerary that will mostly please everyone. (I am not a group therapist; I just play one on the helpline.)

Posted by
67 posts

You are right one week isn't much for Italy. Having flown into Rome and out of Venice it was very easy. I am 53 and just got back. If only 1-2 of your group can only stay a week I'd recommend you put together a priority list of what you want to see together and they could fly home and the rest of your group continue on. I'd also suggest bed and breakfasts or agrotourism farms. They are so informal and you really learn how Italians live and eat. Hotel Adler in Rome was excellent. Internet use, breakfast on terrace, great service. In Rome we liked being away from the crowds and near transportation (train and bus/metro station). I was nervous about postings of in Rome the train area being not so good but it was great and we felt very safe. There we lots of women traveling together.

Posted by
411 posts

We were in Italy for 17 days with some friends who'd never been there before. While we had a great time overall, there were some stressful moments during the trip due to to a number of unvoiced expectations, and in some cases people simply not hearing what was discussed (coupled with not reading the itinerary). I wish Rick could devote a chapter to small group independent travel to help sort out some of the personal issues involved with travelling with friends.You already sound resentful about the woman who only gets a week of vacation--- I imagine that will only get worse as the trip gets planned. You all need to sit down as a group and have a serious talk about the issues of six people travelling to Italy. Time of course needs to be on the table. It's not fair to your friend to invite her along then pin the group's resentment on her when she can't "fix" the fact of her limited vacation time. Secondly you need to have a VERY frank discussion about the money issues involved in the trip.There would be nothing wrong with staging the trip so that those without the luxuries of time and extra money could stay on for a while longer. With only seven days Rome Florence and Venice really are not doable. How about spending 7 days in Rome, making day trips to Orvieto and even a long day trip to Florence with all of your museums prereserved to maximize your time. Arrange airport transfers for those going home, then those staying on could take the ES train to Venice take a side trip to Milan then fly back home from one of those airports.

Posted by
187 posts

Thank each & every one of you for your opinions. You have given me advice to consider that I really had not thought of. I have several options to consider from some of your posts & Karen & Francis your posts cracked me up. Leave it up to the RS club to help solve this dilemma.

Posted by
10206 posts

Seriously, if you want to remain friends with these people after your trip, and have a good time while you are there, you might want to all sit down and discuss some "ground rules" so there are no misunderstandings. It doesn't matter how well or how long you have known these people you don't really know people until you travel with them.

I think it is fair to tell the person who only has a week that you are sorry she doesn't have more time, but that is no reason why the rest of you can't stay longer. If she is really a friend she would not expect you to go to the expense of this trip and only stay a week because of her schedule. I would then find out what is most important to her, and try to do that. After she leaves you can go other places.

You should all agree on how expenses will be divided so there is no misunderstanding. You might also want to talk about how you will decide what you will do once you get somewhere. People have different interests and energy levels. For example, if someone wants to rest for an afternoon, that is no reason for everyone to have to stop everything. That person can go rest and you can meet later. Unfortunately I speak from personal experience. If you don't have a clear understanding ahead of time, others might feel that you have to stick together all all times - like conjoined twins or something! Don't let anyone else make you resentful or potentially ruin your trip because it won't be what you want it to be. I hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
211 posts

I agree with 2 cities theory. Rome and Florence would be easiest with limiting factor of 7 days.

Posted by
2349 posts

You should carefull define people's expectations. For example-shopping. Now, for me, shopping for clothes on vacation would be just hell, and other people love it. But I could poke around in used book stores, antique stores, and farmers markets for hours. So if everyone agrees they want to "shop" that should be better defined.

I really think there's not just a chapter, but a whole book on this. Rick? How about "Europe through the Back Door with Other People-Can You Still Be Friends?"

Posted by
111 posts

Stephanie: You're a great friend. Wish I have someone like you to travel with. Do NOT get stressed that some people will miss out on some places. The responces posted here are fantastic. Do what you can and then relax and enjoy yourself. The world is full of wonderful places we'll never see. It's the ones we see that count. The ladies you think will not go back may surprise you yet!