Please sign in to post.

shore excursions

Our cruise takes us to Slavonia, Split & debrovnik, Crotia, Montenagro, Ravenna, etc. the cruise ship tours are outrageous but how reliable is the cab, bus, tour guide on the docks? anyone know?

Posted by
864 posts

We've shared a cab with other couples that we became acquainted with on board the ship and have done city tours that way. Many of the cabs dockside will have a city tour plan they offer for a fixed price. Frequently they will drop you off at special sites and either circle back or come back to pick you up in a fixed amount of time etc. Make sure you have the price written down by the cabbie (that's why we take a small pad of post it notes), pay at the end and make sure you get back to the ship WELL before departure. If you miss the ship while taking a tour on your own it's up to you to get to the next port in order to rejoin the ship. Actually saw two women once running down the pier with lots and I mean lots of shopping bags. The ship had pulled away from the pier o/a 20 feet and they clearly couldn't understand why the ship didn't return dockside for them. It was funny in sick way.

Posted by
8 posts

thanks a lot. I have printed the form where Rick Steves advises which cruise and/or dockside tours to take. unfortunately that doesnt help in most of the cities we are visiting. Dont know beforehand if the dock is too far away from city for instance , in Debrovnik or split. will find that out on ship. thanks again

Posted by
2304 posts

Ho Ho Ho Santa Check out the site cruise critic. Registration is free, wonderful and useful information there. Go to boards,roll calls, look for your ship, date of cruise and you may find cruisers that want to share a taxi in ports. There also is a port section for you to check and learn things, ask questions. people on this board are more than willing to help give advice. hope this is helpful to you.
princess pupule

Posted by
54 posts

I second the recommendation to take some time on www.cruisecritic.com - there is a wealth of information there about ports of call, as well as joining the "Roll Call" for your specific cruise. I have been on a cruise that stopped in Dubrovnik, Croatia: we took a cab from the dock to the old town and returned to the ship by cab. My recollection is that the distance was too far to walk comfortably. The old town in Dubrovnik is fantastic! Cabs were plentiful both directions.

Posted by
8 posts

thank you all for your great suggestions. if you have any more on the other ports let me know. I will be on that Cruisecritic site ASAP, my husband and I are travelling with my 2 sisters and they have never cruised so we want it to be as stress free as possible. Thanks again, and yes, I have used HOHOHO a lot,

Posted by
8 posts

can't believe this, our travel agent just sent a free tour for booking trip with her and it's from the port to old city, etc in Dubrovnik. Would like other ideas for other ports if you can,. thank you so much