Please sign in to post.

Shopping in Rome

Hello again! I am planning my trip to Rome (summer or fall) and would like some tips about shopping within my budget. I don't really shop brand name items, but appreciate good quality items. I really would like to get clothing and shoes there, things that are uniquely Italian, but not to break the bank. I'm thinking of prices that one would usually find in Macy's (probably 100-150 euros per item as the highest price). I will definitely shop in market areas as well where there is a wider range of items for sale and one can just enjoy the shopping experience. Suggestions on where locals shop would be great. Thanks!

Posted by
11347 posts

La Rinascente is an Italian department store with nicer labels, though not necessarily designer. OVS is a little more down market and COIN is mid-range of the three. Otherwise, Rome is rather boutique oriented. Not to say it is necessarily expensive, but there are a lot of small stores! Try Via Cola di Rienzo and Via del Tritone as well as the area around Via Frattina,just east of Via del Corso for many smaller chains and independent shops.

Posted by
752 posts

I would second Via Cola di Rienzo in the Prati neighborhood near the Vatican. Shop at a more relaxed pace, also good restaurants. The Italian midrange brands are there, plus individual boutiques. When I have gone to Rome, it’s my favorite area to stay. Take a stroll down the Via and nearby side streets with google street view.

Posted by
3112 posts

Based on your budget and quality criteria, Coin is probably the best fit among the department stores. There's a store in Termini station, but I prefer their larger store right by the San Giovanni metro stop which has a much better selection of everything. It's very easy to reach using metro lines A or C. You should visit the fairly new Rinascente flagship store on Via del Tritone just for the experience. It reminds me of Bloomingdale's original NYC store, but with a great rooftop terrace (incredible views).

Posted by
75 posts

Coin is in many larger Italian cities, and I've always found nice things there. But, definitely check the small shops... you never know when you'll find a deal on something really nice.

Posted by
2768 posts

Yes, don’t neglect the small shops! It seems like in many US cities the small boutique type stores are all $$$$, but that’s not the case in Rome. Obviously there are small, high priced stores but there are also moderate ones. Unfortunately it’s been awhile, so I can’t remember specific ones.

Posted by
336 posts

I like this small shop that sells pens and watches. The watches are MEC brand (Military European Company) which I think is only available in Italy. Also nice pens.. If this interests you, the shop is near the Pantheon. If you are facing the front of the Pantheon, the shop is behind you, over your left shoulder down a small street (just a few steps away from the piazza). It's across from a gelato shop. I purchased a watch here each nf my 2 trips to Rome...