Please sign in to post.

shopping in Florence

Do you have any names of shops that you would recommend for shopping for leather purses in Florence, preferably reasonable prices. thanks, Mary

Posted by
37 posts

Hi Mary! My friend and I caught the train to Florence from Rome. We found shops all over. You will just have to get in the city and walk around. They have shops that meet all budget types as well as shops in the market areas.

Posted by
4555 posts

Look for the San Lorenzo market, which operates in several streets just a short walk east of the SMN train station...even closer to the Duomo. EVERYTHING leather....but watch for pickpockets, especially on busy days....and be prepared to haggle. If you look like you're not willing to pay the price, they'll offer you a "deal."

Posted by
43 posts

Mary – I would suggest a visit to the famous leather school, Scuola del Cuoio, located in the Santa Croce church. Although perhaps a bit “pricey” it’s an interesting visit and the church itself has great Giotto frescoes and Michelangelo’s tomb.

Posted by
48 posts

I have the best shop for leather anywhere! It is called Noi and the address is 8 Via Delle Terme. Phone is 055- 21-03-19. Ask for Vincenzo. My husband has bought jackets and bags from them and taken many a fellow businessman with him over the years so they could get jackets too. When we are there later this year I plan on looking for a purse and my daughters will be getting their first Noi jackets. Wonderful service and wonderful people! The quality is unlike any you have seen in the states- they supply to Neiman Marcus. I still have a leather backpack I got at the market 20 years ago! Have fun and haggle !

Posted by
12172 posts

I would start with learning how to judge quality in leather purses. Florence is known for quality leather but anywhere that caters to tourists is definitely a place for the buyer to beware ("caveat emptor" as the Romans would have said).

Every shop (or school) you visit will tell you they offer "the finest" leather anywhere.

Start by doing some online research, learn how to spot top grain, split grain and full grain leather, what to look for in stiching, straps, hinges, etc. I got results by googleing "how to tell the difference between full and split grain leather".

Then visit the nicest stores in your area to look over their most expensive leather purses. Ask what makes these purses better than other purses. Compare them to the leather purses that are sold at regular stores so you know what you are looking for.