Please sign in to post.

shopping in florence

Where are the nicest stores to shop in for clothing, bags, etc in Florence

Posted by
153 posts

The most popular seemed to the market by the Medici chapel/house. It was a large market that spanned several blocks. It was a bit much for us, so we just kind of glossed it over and didn't see anything that caught our eye. My fiancee found her bag just north of Piazza Santa Croce on (I think) Via Giuseppe Verdi. The leather stores around her were of the brick and mortar variety rather than the crowded market stands. I don't know if these stores have more bona fides than the market sellers, but we found their goods to be more appealing and more unique from store to store.

Posted by
12172 posts

Since every shop will tell you they sell the best leather in Florence, it's probably worthwhile to educate yourself on how to spot quality leather and workmanship. I don't do much shopping on the road, but a brief stroll through the market netted at least 20 claims of the "best leather in Florence" even though I barely glanced at their wares.

Posted by
32214 posts

marie, You might want to delete your duplicate Thread on this subject, before it attracts any replies. I don't usually do much shopping when in Florence, so don't have much information on that. You might ask the Staff at your Hotel for suggestions. As they're "locals", I'm sure they'll know where all the best places are. The shops on the Ponte Vecchio seemed to be mostly jewellry, etc., and a bit touristy and overpriced. Happy travels!

Posted by
3112 posts

If by nicest you mean upscale, many high-end retailers have shops along or just off Via dei Tornabuoni. There's also a Rinascente department store on Piazza della Repubblica. For a nice honest leather shop, try Massimo Leather on Borgo la Noce near San Lorenzo church and Central Market.

Posted by
71 posts

The area around via Tournabuoni is where all the high end stuff is. Via della vigna nuova is also a nice street, and the area around there. I would avoid the market around San Lorenzo. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the names of the leather stores I browsed, but they were all on quiet, little side streets, between the Duomo and the river, that were empty of cars and people. Since you said "etc" I'll go ahead and add the there are some great paper stores in Florence. My favorite was il Torchio (owned by a Canadian girl). Il papiro is also good, and quite well known.

Posted by
362 posts

Marie you got solid advice so far - around the mercato is for the bargain hunters and those not afraid to be possibly over charged, and on via Tornabuoni (and around there) is where all the high end stuff is - Prada, Gucci, Tods, etc. If you are a shoe person there are also boutiques for Casadei and Sergio Rossi - closer to the Piazza Santa Trinita end. I have a couple of other suggestions - For some unique jewelry, try Gabriella Nanni For genuine, made on the spot leather goods, visit the The Scuola del Cuoio behind the church of Santa Croce (walk around the church to the left and down the street a bit, the entrance is on the right past the church). And for something completely different, check out Aprosio across the river -