Please sign in to post.

Shopping

We are traveling to Italy next month and will be in Florence from Sept 7-9. Has anyone been to the outlet shops there? Are they worth the time? If not, any suggestions on good shopping places for leather products, clothing, and shoes?

Posted by
565 posts

I hate wasting time shopping when I travel BUT if you are talking about Barberino, I make this one exception. If you are looking for the high end brands, there's a lot here at half the prices at the boutiques, even with the euro conversion. I stop on my way out of town but I think I saw a shuttle service operating last time I was there. I haven't been to any of the others as I'm not sure there is anything unique I can't find in the states.

Posted by
78 posts

I went to the outlets via bus when i was in Florence...and regretted it. if you're desperate to have serious designer stuff from the previous season, and that is still extremely expensive (especially at the current exchange rate), then go. Otherwise, the street markets and leather stores in Florence are your best bet. I left there with two leather jackets, two purses, a pair of boots, and a few beautiful cashmere scarves all at excellent prices and of high quality, and none were so mass-produced that i'll run into anyone on the streets here in the US wearing the same one. i actually had to buy a cheap suitcase to get everything back home with me! i'd advice shopping at small stores all over Italy, or at chains that we don't have in the US. it's more unique.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for responding. I am interested in getting more unique things to take back that aren't going to bust my budget. On the advice of a wasted trip to the outlets, thank you for sharing your experience. We are there for a short time and I want to try to make the most of it. I will definitely stick to the local shops & markets.

Posted by
565 posts

If you aren't looking for the high end stuff then you have definitely made the best choice. I'm not a huge Florence fan, but I definitely think they have the best market shopping and the best prices. I find my best things when I just accidentally shop as I pass by a window and Florence is the best for that. It doesn't take a lot out of your itenerary either. Have fun!

Posted by
117 posts

Normally I loath to get off topic, but I'm a word geek and can't help myself so please forgive me. "Unique" means one of kind, having no like or equal. Therefore, something cannot be "more unique" or "very unique". It's either unique, or it's not. ;-)