Please sign in to post.

Shoe help in Rome

My mother and father-in-law will be spending some time in Rome in April. She is over 60 and has had two knee replacements over the last year. She is doing great and gets around just fine however, She is looking ideas for shoes that she could wear that might help with the walking that she will do.

She is looking for Supportive, not ugly and not sandals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted by
27057 posts

I'm 67 and walk a great deal on vacation. My balance is not great, so if I stumble, I'm quite likely to hit the pavement. I choose my wardrobe to fit my (klutzy, athletic) shoes rather than vice versa. I realize that's a concept many women cannot accept.

At the very least, your mom needs shoes with a grippy, thick sole. Anything thin-soled is likely to cause foot pain as the day wears on.

If you use the Search box here, you'll find many previous threads about shoes, with suggestions of particular brands and styles people were happy with. But Shoes are a very, very individual thing. I recommend going to a good shoe store and asking for help.

Posted by
16 posts

Not a specific answer for you, but, if you're on Pinterest, a search for something akin to Best Women's Shoes for (Touring) Europe will provide plenty of results. Maybe, do that, and if you see some repetitions of specific shoes go from there.

I'm always worried about whether or not my feet will hurt on a tour--which can be miserable. I've discovered that a custom-made orthotic makes all the difference in the world. Perhaps, she could also see a chiropractor/physician for those.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
5 posts

I have several pairs of Vionic brand shoes and find them perfect for travel. Lots of different styles, some more fashionable than others, but all supportive and comfortable for long days of walking. www.vionicshoes.com

Posted by
4573 posts

I try to wear longer pants to cover as much of the 'ugly' as I can. Foot problems and orthotics mean shoes that are not overly feminine or 'pretty'. But plenty of other women can get away with a nicer shoe that is supportive.
She needs to visit a good shoe store now and then start working up to walking 5-7 miles in them a day. Part of walking problems is not having physically prepared for it.

Posted by
1225 posts

Hi. There is a whole special category of this forum called Best Walking Shoes: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/best-travel-shoes

I was thinking that might be helpful till I noticed you said April travel. Would that not be rather soon to be adjusting to new shoes for walking? Myself, I use Keen Newport H2 for my daily summer walking shoe either at home, commuting to work, or travelling. Yep, my outfits take my shoes into consideration. I love these. For a slightly different look, I use Bernie Mev Comfi. They look dressier but have a great sole. Both these shoes have the advantage of being able to dry quickly if caught in a downpour. I do not really have to break in the Bernie Mev (made of stretchy fabric), and my feet fit the Keens just right since I have been wearing that style for at least 10 years. I am of the philosophy that I generally travel in what I wear normally.

So is there something your mother already has, wear, likes that might work? PS, sneakers will do and perhaps some flats for casual evening when just strolling and not hoofing across town.

Posted by
32 posts

I am 68, and due to an arch repair about 12 years ago, I have been wearing Brooks Ariels running shoes (with custom orthotics) ever since. Fortunately, this years version comes in black! It’s really cute, and, hey, I was in Starbucks yesterday and noticed that many of the young gals had black tennies on. I love to walk, and my Ariel’s have been the best for me. And, like they say, who really notices us and what we wear....Happy feet, happy travels. And they do dry overnight if rain strikes.

Posted by
7327 posts

For what it's worth, Romans walk their dogs, and don't necessarily clean up after them. When we stayed in the Trastevere neighborhood across the Tiber river, the sidewalks there, especially, were a veritable minefield of dog droppings, and in case a pile can't be avoided, having easy-to-clean soles might be a consideration. Hope they have a great trip. From personal experience, though, double-knee replacements will mean extra scrutiny at airport Security.

Posted by
2047 posts

I also wear the black Brooks running shoe with stability, GTS 19. They work great for walking on cobblestones and being black, you can wear them at night when going out. That said, comfort is the most important thing and another color may be preferable. I’ve learned that most people really don’t look at our feet and we’ll never be as stylish as the Italians, at least while we’re on vacation.

Posted by
15795 posts

She needs to visit a good shoe store now and then start working up to
walking 5-7 miles in them a day. Part of walking problems is not
having physically prepared for it.

I'd say the prep work is more important than any particular shoe brand we could recommend! For a trip in April, she should be putting in the training miles now - on assorted surfaces and stairs - in the shoes she intends to take. I've bought shoes that felt great at the get-go only to hurt like the devil with some serious miles on them, and others which were a little sketchy initially but were great once broken in. Everybody's feet are different.

If she IS pre-trip training currently, what is she wearing?

Posted by
4151 posts

April's almost here! I highly recommend that she/they go to a store like the Walking Company to try on the options there. The Abeo brand has 3 different versions of some of their shoes to suit different feet. Abeos can be bought online or in other stores that cater to foot issues.

Other options for walking shoes can be found at REI or other places you might think only sell hiking shoes.

I'm resisting knee surgery and need ankle support for long days on my feet. When I've taken shoes without ankle support, it's been a mistake.

These are shoes I have for every day and travel. None of them except the Jambus have required a "breaking-in" period for me.

Boots: Blue Ahnu Montara, Blue Teva Arrowood 2 Mid WP The Ahnus come up higher on my ankle. The Tevas aren't so high but still provide the support.

Sandals: Red Jambu I don't do open-toed sandals.

Sneakers: Red Saucony, Blue Saucony

Flats: Black Abeo I love these Mary Janes. They are so great after a long day. They are very light. I wish they came in other colors. My current pair is getting a little long in the tooth, so I may have to buy a 2nd black pair.

One more recommendation: Sockwell Circulator socks. They are great on the plane and really help with stamina because of the improved circulation they provide. There are lots of patterns, but I like the striped ones best because there's nothing to snag my toenails on the inside. I have multiple colors of this stripe and of this one.

Posted by
2713 posts

I’ve posted before that I’m a huge fan of Alegria Essence laced shoes. Cute colors and patterns. Good arch support. Wide toe box. I have 3 pair and am taking one to Italy.
https://alegriashoes.com/collections/essence
I also am taking Ryka shoes bought DSW. Wide toe box, narrower heel and very comfortable.
https://www.ryka.com/en-US/Product/67663-5249811/Ryka/Black_Purple_Blue/Womens+Devotion+Plus+2+Medium_Wide+Walking+Shoe.aspx
She needs to buy shoes ASAP to break them in before her April trip. My friend who has had 2 knee replacements swears by FitFlop shoes, but they are usually too wide for me.

EDIT: Essence is discontinued. Amazon has some in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/Alegria-ESSENCE-557-Womens-Essence/dp/B075HZNKFG/ref=mp_s_a_1_21?crid=1MVSJGG5B74Z7&keywords=alegria+shoes+for+women&qid=1552705874&s=gateway&sprefix=alegri&sr=8-21

I tried another style but my toes didn’t like the lower cut toe box.

Posted by
5697 posts

For an April trip to France I currently plan to take Ahnu walking shoes, Keen Newport H2O sandals, and Sketchers slip-ons as inside slippers. All have been on prior trips. Sneakers with deep treads work well, too. For me, with wide toes and narrow heel, it's important to have shoes that have straps or ties so they stay on my feet at regular walking speeds and/or tricky terrain.

Posted by
11154 posts

Why not take/use whatever walking shoes she is using now?

Function/comfort 1st, fashion secondary.

Posted by
108 posts

I second the vote for Vionic. They have a lot of arch support and are stylish.

Posted by
8035 posts

I wear black slacks and don't worry about ugly shoes. I have a pair of light weigh hiking shoes by Aynu that I got at REI that are waterproof (handy in April and May). and which are very stable and well cushioned for walking on cobble stones and hard pavements. I wear them whenever I will be in areas like steep street or hiking where stability is important. (I ended up breaking an elbow badly and spending 5 days in a southern France hospital for surgery on it because of slippery sandals and steep old stairs in a ruined fortress). I also have Merrell Breeze slip on clogs in black also which are incredibly comfortable and well cushioned.

Obviously everyone finds their own brand that works well for them -- mine is Merrell-- but there are many walking shoes available as well as hiking shoes that are great for travel. In black they are not obtrusive with black slacks.