Please sign in to post.

shared bathroom

My husband is very concerned about sharing a bathroom during our first visit to Italy. It would save us some money, so can anyone give me some information to calm his fears? Is it a hassle when getting ready for the day in the AM? Is it difficult to get your needed time in the bathroom? This sounds trivial, but I haven't been in the situation myself, so I don't know what to tell him. Thank you!

Posted by
1297 posts

If you can, try to figure out how many rooms share the bathroom. (For example, the RS book might say 5 rooms. 2 DB (which means have own bath). That would tell you 3 rooms share a bath. We usually get our own bath, but we did stay in one place where 3 rooms shared a bath. We never saw another person (One room stayed empty and the other room had a single man in it) In London, our bathroom was so small my husband used the "shared" bath. Since most rooms had their own, he always could use it whenever he wanted. When booking, you might ask how many rooms share the bathroom.

Posted by
3313 posts

It's no more an issue than being a guest in a home where you need to share a bathroom with some of the family members.

In my experience, you rarely compete for shower time.

Posted by
3580 posts

If the shower/bath is in a separate room from the toilet, it works best. The only time I had a problem with the shared bath arrangement was when there were 4 rooms and one bath/toilet. Someone tied up the room for a long time, so I had to find another toilet in the hotel. It was in London.

Posted by
2349 posts

I had an unpleasant experience when our room shared a bath with another room. The guy from the other room took a 45 minute shower. I've never had to pee so badly!

Posted by
223 posts

I always travel on the cheap and opt for the bathroom down the hall. Many places I have stayed have a couple bathrooms shared by 6-8 rooms. Once I got it through my head if one was busy to check the other one I never had a problem. Just check out the motels map to see if there is a 2nd bathroom closeby.

Posted by
2193 posts

We normally opt for private facilities but have stayed in places with a shared bathroom arrangement before. At most, it has been three rooms sharing, but two was more typical in my experience. Sometimes the room had a sink…sometimes not. I’ve never had a problem with someone else tying up all the facilities in the lodging when I wanted to get in…it just sort of worked out that way. Once, while at Chalet Fontana in Mürren, I had to go downstairs to a secondary bathroom that was open when ours was occupied, so no issue there. You could shower at night…perhaps the bathroom would be most available then? As long as you’re staying in a recommended lodging, you shouldn’t need to worry about dirty facilities. A shared arrangement is easy with just two adults but may become a little more cumbersome for a family of four.

Posted by
944 posts

Let your husband talk you in to a room with a private bath. He's right about this one.

Posted by
1018 posts

We stayed at a hotel with shared bathrooms many years ago and they were neat and clean. However, we prefer to have a bathroom ensuite (bathroom in the room). My days of sharing are over...as far as hotel bathrooms are concerned.

Buon viaggio,

RB