Please sign in to post.

September or October?

Planning my next trip to Italy in 2011. I usually go in early May, but this time I'll be trying September or October. I plan on hitting the Naples/Amalfi Coast/Capri region (again) and maybe the lakes region and Tuscany. Anyone have any preferences, and why? Pros and cons of either month? Climate issues? I have been told that October is grape and olive harvest season, Tuscany is particularly beautiful then, and it's festival season as well.

Posted by
1829 posts

If you want to use the seasonal coastal ferry services in the Amalfi region go in September. They start packing up at the begining of October and are more or less finished by the second week. There are year round services but they are less frequent and call at fewer places. Also the later you go the greater risks of cancellation due to choppy seas. Historically September is warmer and dryer, although October is very pleasant and is one of the times we choose to visit. However, last October had the coldest nights we had experienced in 30 years and this September has been the wettest for many years! So who knows, we have fingers crossed for our upcomimg trip! ................. Edit - with the end of summer you can get thunderstorms but in our experience they are shortlived and spectacular to watch.

Posted by
306 posts

Sorrento has a really cool fish festival in mid-October.

Posted by
1829 posts

Scott - we must have been there at the same time. Didn't it rain on the night of the Sagra!!!!!

Posted by
105 posts

Scott, thanks for posting this question. I am planning my trip for next year (Venice, CT, Tuscany, Florence) and had the same question about which month is best.

Posted by
4 posts

Don't overlook Sicily! We just came back after two weeks there. Beginning of September is a good time. The weather is still warm. The vacation crowds have left, but seasonal shops are still open. Siracusa is a great base. We also went island-hopping among the Aeolian islands off the northeastern coast. Monreale is a must if you go to Palermo (personally I think you can skip most else in Palermo). And Sicily is cheaper than most places. Hope to go back!

Posted by
11342 posts

Just finished our 8th day in Italy: Venice, Cinque Terre, and now Siena. Venice was great! Perfect weather for 4 days, followed by 2 perfect and one cloudy-but-not-rainy day in the CT. Today overcast, light rain for two hours in Siena, but pleasant afternoon to walk around, orient ourselves and see the Duomo. Crowds not bad, lots of rooms available in Venice and Vernazza. In Venice the trick was to avoid St. Mark's until 3:30PM, then zip in the door of an almost empty basilica. Acqua Alta one morning; It was very funny to see the throngs from the cruise ships teetering on the elevated walkways to enter the basilica and Doges' Palace. We just skirted the flood after takign pictures and wandered Cannareggio until the AA subsided. Via Dell'Amore was EMPTY just after sundown, a wonderful way to relax between an aperitivi in Riomaggiore and dinner in Manorola. Corniglia to Vernazza path was brisk but not annoyingly so on Saturday. Best to go EARLY. Many people seem to wait until afternoon and it is hot and crowded then.

Posted by
12172 posts

I really liked October in Italy. Comfortable weather - warm days without being too hot, cool nights - and encountered only a tiny bit of light rain........Also, September is still considered high season in Italy. October should net you a little better deals for lodging and airfare.