Please sign in to post.

September 2024 Lake Como made big mistake due to

I booked plane tickets into Florence and then we were headed to Lake Como (15-20) Lugano and Flying out of Milan. Total trip September 11-22.

After trying to book many NICE hotels in my price range 250-1000 I couldn't find anything I would be happy with. I mean I've looked for days. I finally asked a hotel "what is going on" and was told September is the month of the GP in Monza, it is the month of Ambrosetti Forum, very important for Como and other more events.

So this was a big mistake on my part. I could find average accommodations but wanted something special for my husband's 60th birthday/retirement. Now I'm thinking all the restaurants will be booked too. Is anyone familiar with this event? The crowds we may encounter or not encounter.

If we weren't flying out of Milan I would go south to Sorento. Alternative suggestions for itinerary would be helpful. We've been to Rome and Venice many times that's why we wanted to explore the lakes. Thanks.

Posted by
333 posts

Monza GP is 1st September, Ambrosetti forum finishes 7th September.....nothing to do with the dates you're looking at. Maybe September is just popular for Lake Como.....? Lake Garda is nice - there are some very nice hotels in Sirmione, easy to get around the lake by Ferry but also may be a day trip to Verona. Since you want the special accommodation in particular use the booking.com filters and put maybe 'Lombardy' and see what nice hotels come up. There will definitely be interesting places to see nearby....

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you both. I looked up the dates as well. I do think it's September in general. Thanks for suggestions.