Please sign in to post.

Sciacchetra

Can anyone tell me if this is a dessert wine? Is there anything to compare it to?

Posted by
488 posts

I would describe it as sweet, intense, a bit raisiny due to method of production.

A better description might be:
Cinque Terre Sciacchetra wines are intensely colored, golden-yellow in their youth and turning to amber over the years. They offer aromas of honey and white blossoms, with hints of citrus

They have high residual sugar. Moderate alcohol.

I cannot say that I was overly fond of them, or the cookie dumping, but my palate has changed a lot since 2007.

Posted by
488 posts

They basically late harvest the grapes and dry them part of the way to raisins before starting to press for wine. Results in a more concentrated alcohol, which is thinned by the high residual sugar. about 10% alcohol.

Posted by
32325 posts

Kathy,

To my taste, Sciacchetrà is very sweet and seems somewhat like Ice wine. I'd consider it a dessert wine.

Sciacchetrà is considerably less expensive than Ice wine. I came across this interesting bit of trivia.....

"In November 2006 the Canadian producer Royal DeMaria released five cases of Chardonnay ice wine with a half-bottle price set at C$ 30,000, making it the world's most expensively priced wine."

Posted by
488 posts

Yeah, it's nowhere near as cost intensive to produce.