Please sign in to post.

Scavi Tour

I'm trying to book tickets for the Scavi tour of the Vatican in November but the e-mail addresses I have keep getting bounced back as invalid. I've tried both scavi@fsp.va and scavi.fabricsp.va. Anyone have a valid e-mail for this?

Posted by
7737 posts

I know it's far from ideal, but they do have a fax number. Scavi info Good luck. We did this tour in May and it was really interesting. Word of warning - it's about 100% humidity down there and very warm. You might be expecting it to be cool since it's underground. It's not.

Posted by
2114 posts

If you have hotel reservations for Rome, I'd suggest you email the hotel to ask their assistance. I doubt the hotel will be able to make the reservations for you (St. Peter's has very specific reservation methodology), but perhaps they could contact someone in the Scavi Office who could then email you. Or, in a worst case scenario, the Scavi Office will then at least be aware they are having email problems. They may not even be aware they are having the problem with email. The internet can be very strange sometimes.

Posted by
2114 posts

Another idea (to keep us all from being tempted to send test messages to the Scavi Office, just to see if they bounce back), but if anyone is reading this post who HAS SUCCESSFULLY gotten their email to go thru this past week, let's let Teena know. That way she can know if the problem is with her internet service provider, her spam filters or other strange thing that might be unique to her or her internet provider. Maybe also pop into the nearest Catholic church in your area and see if they can get it to go thru.....not that they would have any special "connections" (sorry, no pun intended).

Posted by
48 posts

My friend made his reservation this week and received a confirmation back the next day (today). So the email you have, scavi@fsp.va, is correct.

Posted by
2114 posts

Teena, based on the previous posting, I'd suggest calling your internet service provider to see what the problem is. If you are not super techy, call a friend who might be, and they can actually often look at the "bounce back" message that you receive to see what's causing the problem. Or, as was suggested by another poster, maybe just send a fax, although it really is best to communicate by email, in case they need to make subsequent changes to your reservation (they did for us during the beatification events).

Posted by
973 posts

On June 13th I got thru with " uff.scavi@fabricsp.va ". but the receipt of payment came from scavi@fsp.va I hope you get through- maybe you could try using the library internet before faxing?
Thanks to all you lovely people for the idea of this tour.

Posted by
316 posts

It must be my internet although this is the only address I've had trouble with. Thanks to all of you for the help!

Posted by
16 posts

I booked tickets last week using the following email successfully: scavi@fsp.va I received a response within a few days, and got confirmation once I emailed my payment information. Maybe their website was temporarily having problems. The tickets are 16 E each.

Posted by
238 posts

Teena and everyone else, whether or not you take the Scavi tour, I strongly recommend trying to get to one of the catacombs on the Appian Way as well. The two are completely different, and personally, I liked the catacombs more than the Scavi tour.

Posted by
9 posts

I booked a few weeks ago using "scavi@fsp.va". Have you only tried using your ISP's email service? I used gmail and it went through without any hiccups. I'd especially be weary of a regional ISP registering foreign and unusual email addresses as spam/undeliverable.

Posted by
62 posts

Teena, if you're using your ISP's email service, try using another (like gmail or hotmail). I had no problem emailing them, but their responses were getting bounced back. One person from the Scavi office was so kind as to email me from his home computer and ask me to supply an alternate email address, and from there everything went off without a hitch-- and the tour so worth a little extra effort!

Posted by
42 posts

Sorry about asking, but what is the Scavi tour of the Vatican? Is it the tour of the necropolis? Merci, Newport, RI

Posted by
31 posts

Hello,
We booked our Scavi Tour through our local Bishop's Office. They took care of everything for us. It only took about three days from the time I requested the tour to receive the booking confirmation. $12 euro per person. We go in September of this year and I booked it about two weeks ago. Good Luck! Amy

Posted by
66 posts

Teena, We just did the Scavi tour in June. It's wonderful.
I used the same email address you are using, scavi@fsp.va, and I did hear back from them within 24 hours each time I emailed them. I did learn from other people that problems with hotmail accounts (in correspondence with Italy) occur more frequently than with other email addresses, so if you're sending from hotmail, you might consider sending from a different email system. I sent from a gmail address and had no problem whatsoever. Good luck and I hope you are able to get through. We found the tour very interesting, but as another person posted, expect very, very warm temperatures (humid) during the tour. The tour is great. Enjoy!