Please sign in to post.

Scavi Tour?

I've taken the Scavi tour under St. Peter's several times in the past, always utilizing the excavation office's email or fax to book the tour. I have been trying to get in contact via these methods for the last month for a February tour. Has anyone had any luck booking a tour recently?

Posted by
23 posts

I just got my confirmation email from the office for a tour in June 2024. I submitted my request by email to the excavation office 3 months ago.

Posted by
1046 posts

I was researching the Scavi tours for April 2024 and accidently submitted a reservation request for 6 people. It was confirmed within 3 days. Sure hope that when my friends can confirm their schedule in Rome, I will be able to get reservations that quickly again!
BTW, I took this tour several years ago. I was not prepared for that powerful an experience!

Just before writing this I sent an email apologizing and cancelling the reservation. Confirmation arrived before I finished writing my initial comments. That was certainly quick!

Posted by
317 posts

In late November, I requested late May reservations for a group of six for the Scavi. To my surprise I got a positive response in only about three days. I’m glad I started early. I understand tickets go very quickly. I had heard (not sure it’s accurate.) but tickets are limited to no more than 250 per day, on the days that they’re giving tours. That’s a very small number when one compares that number to the number of people who visit the Basilica and the museums each day.

Posted by
117 posts

On this past Monday by e-mail I requested tickets for 5 adults on June 6th. The next day I was confirmed.

Posted by
21 posts

I highly doubt that I will get tickets, but I just requested my tickets for July. With it being peak season I am sure that I have a slim chance. Is true that no one under the age of 15years old can take this tour? When I submitted my request it did not ask about ages for the individuals that I requested. Anyone know of any other places that I can purchase tickets for Scavi?

Thank you1