Please sign in to post.

Sardinia in September

We are going to Sardinia mid September ‘19 for 9-10 days.
Starting in Cagliari. Deciding whether to fly out from there or Olbia.
Town, boutique hotel, restaurant suggestions etc, would be appreciated.

Posted by
3160 posts

Great time to visit the island. I spent 10 days starting and ending in Càgliari I also took the ferry to Corsica spending 7 days on Sardinia and 3 on Corsica. I drove anti clockwise around both islands and loved it. I’m not a boutique hotel kinda traveler so I would recommend only the Hotel Flora in Càgliari and a few doors away is a terrific little restaurant serving Sardegnan specialties called Osteria Sa Domu Sarda. You won’t be disappointed by either one. If you visit Alghero, great seafood overlooking the sea at Miques de Mirall on Via Manno. If you visit Oristano, try the nondescript Trattoria Portixedda on Vicolo Solferino. In Santa Teresa Gallura fantastic porcetto arrosto at Da Gianni on Via Settembte XX that you need to wash down with an Ichnusa beer.

Edit: In Càgliari right near the hotel is a restaurant called Ammentos. Don’t eat there unless you prize quantity over quality.

Posted by
15158 posts

I’ve been multiple times but only in the northern part of the island, which, according to Sardinians themselves is the more beautiful half (although friends tell me there are nice spots everywhere).
If you also decide to concentrate on the northern side, then Olbia (OLB) or Alghero (AHO) are the airports you should consider.

I like the Gallura area a lot (Santa Teresa).
The Costa Smeralda (Porto Cervo, Porto Rotondo, etc) is beautiful but pricier.
Stintino area also great beaches. Castelsardo probably the quaintest town. Alghero is a city, more than a town, probably the most beautiful larger town.

Posted by
3160 posts

Roberto has given great advice and I learned a lot from him before my visit to Sardinia. He has to broaden his horizons some day and visit the south end of the island. 😄 I first stayed at an agriturismo in Castiadas and did a loop from there to Porto Sa Ruxi and followed the Coast road down the peninsula to Capo Carbonara and then north to Capo Ferrato before returning to my lodgings. The area has spectacular views of the sea and the many small and large coves and beaches that dot the coast.

Càgliari has some very good museums, great cathedral, old towers and, of course, the Bastione Saint Rémy. On the west coast, I thought Oristano was a small town with real Sardegnan heritage. A visit to the nearby Sinis peninsula has worthwhile Roman ruins and nice beaches. Inland between Oristano and Càgliari is perhaps the most important Archaeological site on the island, Su Nuraxi di Barumini.

Alghero is a larger city but has a compact Storico Centro. Nice beach to the north of the city and the Grotta di Nettuno is a refreshing boat ride away. Unless you’re using the airport, I’d avoid Olbia.

North or South, you can’t go wrong visiting this island.