Please sign in to post.

Sardinia in September

Hello -
I am trying to research some travel options for a stay in Sardinia in early September. I will have a rental car and I am looking for advise from anyone who has travelled from Genoa to Sardinia by car/ferry to the island. I see that there are different options for ferry service - Moby and Tirrenia. The prices do seem pricey. Do you know of other companies that might not be as expensive? Does anyone have any suggestions and advise on traveling to Sardinia? Thank you so much for all of your help!

Posted by
15041 posts

First of all it's faster and cheaper to ferry from Civitavecchia to Olbia, so it might pay to drive to Civitavecchia, rather than departing from Genoa. Going from Genoa I show about 360 Euro r/t for 2 people and a car, while only 270 from Civitavecchia. The crossing from Civitavecchia is only 5h 30m.
However since you don't have your own car, but rather a rental car, I don't see the reason for ferrying the car across. It's much cheaper to go to Sardinia without a car (via boat or airplane) and rent a car once you reach the island.
From Civitavecchia to Olbia and back the r/t fare for one person (no car) is about 70 Euro. Two people would be about 140 euro. By crossing without a car you save 130 euro from Civitavecchia and probably more from Genoa (although the crossing from Genoa is on a night ferry, therefore you might pay more for accommodations on board).
Also have you considered flying? There are several airlines that fly from the mainland to the 3 major international airports on the island (CAG, OLB, AHO), including EasyJet, RyanAir, and Meridiana, which is a Sardinian airline. Their price might be competitive with the ferries (even for passengers only) and it's much quicker, 40 min and you are there.