Please sign in to post.

Sardinia

I have been a long time traveler using the Rick Steves Forum. I have traveled throughout Italy and hope to travel to Sardinia next year, 2015. I would like to spend 1 week traveling with a rented car along the coast. What to see and do. Where to fly from Rome to what town in Sardinia? Any hope would be much appreciated.
Motto Bene

Posted by
15165 posts

The most beautiful thing about Sardinia is the beaches
http://www.unionesarda.it/collane/spiagge/home_spiagge.aspx

One week isn't too long to see all the island. It's big and roads are curvy. My experience is limited to the north side (The Gallura) and I've spent a few summers in Santa Teresa di Gallura (the northernmost tip). One thing not to miss is a boat excursion to the Maddalena Archipelago. Also a ferry trip across the Strait to Bonifacio (Corsica) is a must (45 min crossing). Bonifacio is a gem.
Beaches are beautiful everywhere. A famous beautiful village is Castelsardo.

Here is the official tourism website from the Regional government.
http://www.sardegnaturismo.it/en

Sardinia has 3 international airports:
Olbia-Costa Smeralda (OLB) in the north east (this is the one I've always used).
Alghero-Fertilia (AHO) on the Northwest (Ryanair hub)
Cagliari-Elmas (CAG) in the south.
Most airlines to Sardinia are low cost and charters. I think Alitalia might be the only major traditional airline flying there (use Wikipedia to find the above airports and find out airlines and destinations from each airport).

Posted by
931 posts

In 2010 we spent 8 wonderful days exploring the island during the 1st week of June. It was the perfect time to be there; warm enough to lay on the beaches, but before the summer tourist rush.. We took the overnite ferry over from Livorno with our rental car(next time I'll fly.)

Our first stop, for three days, was up North at an awesome agritorurisimo (Stazzi La China) We used it to explore the surrounding area. Then we drove to West to Alghero and spent one nite ( I wish we had spent more there). Our last stop was at an apartment on the beach just outside of Cagliari for 3 nites. We loved that town and the nearby beaches. The we flew back to Rome on Ryan Air. (lots of lo-cost inter EU air;lines can be found using Skyscanner.)

Roberto is correct. One week does not allow you to see everything. We purposely avoided the East side. What we did see (NE) made us glad that we had focused on the North, West, and South.

We found driving to be easy; much better than most other places in Italy. Our GPS was handy, but many times we had to rely on our Michelin map. We speak no Italian, but had no problems. Smiles and hand signals always work in foreign countries! We loved the people, food!!, beaches, and the sights (Nuraghi ruins, etc).