Please sign in to post.

Sardinia 2013

We have 17 nights in Sardinia from the 4th July this year. There is very little specific information and we would appreciate knowing. If you went for a great hike or kayak trip that you would recommend. A B & B in the north east which was close to a village or the water. Alghero, is it very touristy or a nice place to spend a night and enjoy alley ways and good food. We wont be spending any time in Mainland Italy this trip. In fact any information would be appreciated, i see on the last posting that GPS's were not very reliable is that still the case in 2013?

Posted by
2 posts

Yes we have a car and will be starting at Cagliari and going anti clockwise.

Posted by
15269 posts

I've spent a few summers in Sardinia but only in Gallura (in or around Santa Teresa Di Gallura to be exact) which is the northernmost tip of the island. That is also one of the most beautiful parts of the island, according to many. when you visit the north of Sardinia, I recommend that area. You are there for a long time, therefore you could also afford a visit to Corsica. There are several ferries connecting Santa Teresa to Bonifacio, in Corsica, every day (45 min.). It would be nice if you could spend a few days across in Corsica, unless you mind the millions of French who will be vacationing there. July is peak season therefore expect larger than average crowds and high prices. I'm glad you have a car, because Sardinia is not the ideal place to visit relying on public transport. Sardinia is famous for beaches and sea, therefore I woul rather stay near the coast, rather than the interior. Also July is extremely hot in Sardinia, therefore having a body of water (and coastal sea breezes) will be highly appreciated. Not too many forests in Sardinia, therefore not a lot of shade either, rather the island is very arid. Kayaking is popular everywhere there. I'm sure the Maddalena Archipelago would be great that way. Just be careful if there are high winds. Below is the website for sardinia's Regional Tourism Promotion Department.
http://www.sardegnaturismo.it/en