Please sign in to post.

Sardinia

Does anyone have travel experience in Sardinia? I booked a resort in the northeast corner of the island for late Sept. I'm trying to find flights into OLBIA, which seems to be the nearest airport. Which airlines fly to Sardinia from Rome? I think Ryan Air may, but would like other suggestions. My travel companions do not want to go to the island by ferry. Also, I would appreciate any suggestions for sightseeing around the island.

Posted by
922 posts

Try Meridiana. It looks like there are 4 flights a day from Rome (FCO) to Olbia (OLB), duration 55 minutes.

Posted by
931 posts

We booked a small room on the overnight car ferry (Corsica Ferry) from Livorno, after we had driven to Pisa for the day. Our ferry did not leave until around 11 PM and got in very early. We found it cheaper to rent our car on the mainland, rather than picking up another in Sardinia. There is really not much to see around Olbia, but the North and Northwest were awesome. We really enjoyed our Agritourisimo in the North; Agri Stazzi La China; wonderful home cooked meals, and a great location to explore the North. We also enjoyed our stay in Algehero. Then we drove down the West coast and ended up staying just outside Cagliari. We loved Cagliari, and the surrounding beaches. We flew back from Cagliari to Rome Ciampino on Ryan Air. Make sure that you understand how to get from Ciampino to FCO. We used the Lonely Planet guidebook to plan our trip, and vetted our rentals on Trip Advisor. We usually use Autoeurope for our car rentals. We found driving in Sardinia to be super easy. Not all of the roads were on our GPS, so our Michelin map of the island was mandatory. When we search for lo-cost inter EU flights we usually use Skyscanner and Whichbudget.com.

Posted by
30 posts

Tante grazie/Many thanks to you kind folks who replied to my questions about travel experience in Sardinia. I am a bit more relaxed with this enhanced info.
Thanks so very much! Linda