Please sign in to post.

Sardinia

Hi folks, I am thinking about spending about 10 days in Sardinia from June 1 and want to see mainly scenic areas and avoid large bustling cities. I like to photograph sweeping vistas, beach scenes and like good but cheaper restaurants. I plan to get a car for part of the trip and may even take local buses or trains the rest of the time. I hear the latter is difficult to do? Is there an area I should focus on for scenery or do I have enough time to circle the island without being really rushed (if I had the car for the entire trip)? Is it hard to find bed and breakfasts in June day by day or should I book them now? I'm not that keen on seeing ruins. Appreciate any suggestions, especially if you have spent about 10 days here. I can stay another 3 days or so If needed.

Thanks..... Trev

Posted by
15164 posts

I've posted several comments to other people who were traveling to Sardinia. Please use the Search function within this Forum. Sardinia is not about big burstling cities (of which there are none). It's about unparalleled coast and beaches. I suggest you stick to rental cars because public transportation is limited as the island is not heavily populated. June is not too busy yet, actually it's the only time I ever visited Sardinia (multiple times) and to me it's the best time to go. The island has some of the most outstanding beaches and reefs in the world due to peculiar geological circumstances so plan to pack some bathing suits and maybe some snorkeling equipment, as well as your photographic gear. My knowledge is limited to the north side. Castelsardo is a must see village and the Maddalena archipelago a must see National Marine Park (need to take a boat excursion there). I usually stay in Santa Teresa Di Gallura or its proximity, but the island is fabulous everywhere. Not much in terms of historical sights except for the nuraghi civilization and the city of Alghero, which has some Catalan history.
Here is a guide to all beaches of Sardinia:
http://www.unionesarda.it/collane/spiagge/home_spiagge.aspx
This is the Sardinia Tourism Board portal:
http://www.sardegnaturismo.it/en

Posted by
16893 posts

Once you have a rental car, it sort of becomes your mobile "home" and rental rates are usually cheapest for 7 days or more, when you book ahead, e.g. through www.autoeurope.com or other agent. The car also makes it easier to fulfill your flexible lodging plan.

www.viamichelin.com could help plan basic driving time, not accounting for traffic or stops. I have not been to Sardinia, but when I spent a few days on Corsica, I stuck to slow, coastal roads and consequently saw only a small portion of the island.