Please sign in to post.

Sardegna

My wife and I have been traveling to Italy for 10 years and been to most regions. Sardegna is one we have not experienced. We are most interested in a beach destination in late May. I know there are numerous places to choose from - and that's the problem! We are not interested in hiking to a beach and prefer to stay somewhere on a beach. We are in our 60's and 70's and don't care about the late night life. After my initial research I 'm wondering if Alghero is the place to go. If we will be staying 7-10 days, where would someone with extensive experience traveling there recommend? Grazie!

Posted by
15829 posts

I like Santa Teresa area. It's well positioned to visit northern Sardinia, including for boat excursions to the Maddalena Archipelago and Bonifacio in Corsica.
In town the Hotel Corallaro is is nice, but there are tons of places in town at all prices.
At nearby Capo Testa there is the Colonna Grand Hotel that is great.
If you want something cheaper there is the Mirage, still at Capo Testa.
All are walking distance from the beach or on the beach.
Stintino has famous beaches, but it's a bit off the main roads so it's a bit more complicated for day trips.
Castelsardo is the prettiest town, but it can be visited from either Santa Teresa or Alghero in less than one hour.

No matter where you go, you will need a car to visit places, unless you want to be stuck in one location. If that is the case, you should stay in town, so that at least you have a choice of multiple restaurants and not just the hotel restaurant.

Posted by
570 posts

We (family of four, mom, dad and 20 yo children) just got back from a week in Sardinia.

First, Roberto is right on about having a car. It will help a lot.

We spent a day in Alghero, and it is very nice, but probably not the best beach friendly place. I would suggest Bosa. Charming little town, and it has a beach.

Since some of the people in our group were more interested in beaches more then anything else, we spent several days in a small community called Pistis. Not sure how far hiking is, but the place we stayed was right on the coast and about 10 min walk to a small cala and 5 more to a long sandy beach.

We also went to the Chia area, and spent a day on the Su Giudeu beach. Lovely, but a bit more crowded. It reminded me a lot of the beach at Lake Tahoe, very calm, clear water, but about 30degrees warmer.

From what we say, you really can't go wrong as there are many lovely beaches.