Please sign in to post.

San Marino

Hello! Has anyone been to san marino?? Does it feel like a tourist trap/disney land kind of plac... or is there an authentic local sise to it as well?
Thanks!

Posted by
1564 posts

The thing is real in the sense that actually has an indipendent government and was for long time a tax haven for northern Italy - not a tourist feature; if I have to buy something from a San Marino firm for my business, the tax procedure is quite complex as it is not considered EU territory. But not ever being governed by a reigning family, they did not get much sponsorship for arts during their history so almost any other Italian city or town has more art and memorabilia to see; their government palace is a late 19th century fake of a medieval one. IMHO places like Ravenna or Urbino are more worth your time, but the thing was not set up as a tourist trap.

Posted by
331 posts

We spent a lovely day in San Marino in 2012. We went into several small museums and enjoyed walking around the city. We took a taxi from the center to the Museo della Civiltà Contadina, which is off the main hill and then walked back to the center. I think San Marino is worth a day if you have time. I wouldn't skip Ravenna to see it, but if you are traveling slowly it is delightful.

Posted by
15461 posts

It's a cute tourist trap and has gorgeous views. If you happen to be in the area it is worth a few hours. But I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

Posted by
669 posts

Tourist trap but not fake like Disney. Very crowded when I was there a few years ago. Beautiful views and towers.

Posted by
12172 posts

Cheap fuel! Now it's definitely on my itinerary. And I'll make sure I need gas when I get there.

Posted by
15461 posts

Gasoline in RSM is only 10-12 cents cheaper per liter, so at most you’ll save 5 or 6€ on a full tank. Not exactly a huge amount to justify a trip for that reason only.