Please sign in to post.

San Gimignano

We had a great experience in San Gimignano on our recent family trip (early Nov, 2011) and we wondered why the guidebook was so negative about this great town. The streets were clear and easy to walk, the views were wonderful, and we had a great meal at Locanda di Sant' Agostino. Perhaps the off season was part of the joy but we still feel that it was a town were visiting.

Posted by
240 posts

I agree. I stayed here during Christmas week 2010. It was magical and amazing. I immersed myself within the walls. Met wonderful people. I stayed at L'Antico Pozzo hotel. The best place ever. Midnight Mass...quite the emotional experience. Market Day was an adventure. Took day trips. I think RS is negative, because tourists are too busy to stop and take the time to walk the back streets....there is really alot to see.

Posted by
4535 posts

I loved San Gimingnano. Was also there off-season and the crowds were very manageable. I can imagine the crowds get overwhelming in summer, but IMO no place is fun with huge crowds. The main streets are lined with tourist shops, but the quality is very good, not cheap trinkets.

Posted by
719 posts

San Gimignano is indeed a wonderful place...in the off season, or early/late in the day. From April-September, that place is PACKED, and isn't all that enjoyable. The tour busses (and I mean a LOT of them) dump people by the thousands into that place, they waddle up the main drag, camp in Piazza de la Cisterna, have some lunch, then shop their way back out. Seems short lived, but they keep coming all day, so you never get a break. In the evening, however, SG is magical. The locals surface to breathe, the restaurants relax, and the place takes on an ethereal glow that can only help you slow down. Watch the sunset from the Rocca with some gelato. Sit on the well and take in the piazza. Wonder the back streets. Use the WC without a 30min wait. All great experiences, but not between 8:30 and 7:30, which is akin to hell. Yet, I go back to that town on every trip to italy (but an overnight or two is mandatory, I rent bikes during the day, and see the Tuscan countryside).

Posted by
7737 posts

Darren's description of SG applies equally well to so many beautiful places in Italy: Cortona, Venice, Assisi, to name a few. It's an important reminder for those who want to do a lot of daytrips - it's hard to really enjoy a place if you're only surfing in on the wave of fellow tourists.

Posted by
358 posts

I agree San G is a nice town to visit and an easy walk to the top. I was staying in Florence and did a day trip to Siena and San G which was well worth the time and money. I wished I had 2-3 more hours in San G.