Please sign in to post.

San Gimignano

I could use some advice for our stay in San Gimignano. We will be staying at an Agriturismo and are using that as our base for 6 nights after leaving Venice. I know we should rent a car in order to really visit the hillside towns, but I am not very adventurous so I'm a bit nervous about driving. Any way to get the same experience without renting a car? Where would be the best place to rent a car, we will take the train from Venice to Florence, stay in San Gimignano and then we go to Rome
TYIA

Posted by
4323 posts

How many are in your party? You could hire a driver for a day, but that leaves five other days, so I'll just encourage you. We have done four driving trips in Italy, one in Tuscany, and it was wonderful. You will be driving in rural areas to small villages, nothing to worry about. All you have to do is learn to recognize the ZTL sign. You can rent the car in Florence and drop in Rome (others can advise on good locations and even provide driving directions for avoiding ZTL).

Posted by
4824 posts

Trying to get around in rural Tuscany without a car is a PITA. If you are staying in an agriturismo, won't it be outside the nearest town or village? Get your IDP, learn the necessary Italian traffic laws and the ins and outs of ZTLs, and get a rental car. Pick it up in Florence. I'd recommend not waiting to drop it in Rome, but to do it en route (like Orvieto) and taking the train from there.

Posted by
4323 posts

Is there someone in the group who would share the driving with you? I am a non-driver myself, even at home, I just am fortunate to be married to a good driver. I do a fair job of navigating--having someone help in that role is another thing to consider.

Posted by
11300 posts

I felt like you before our first trip. I got my confidence back after reading the excellent guide here https://gemut.com/. Scroll down and on the right is a “Free Download” that will give you great guidance. Also, Gemut is a good company to rent from.

We always say it takes 2 to drive in Italy. One to drive and one to read the signs. So have a good navigator teamed up with the driver.

Posted by
24 posts

thank you, the guide information is very helpful. Someone will share the driving with me, just need to figure out who the best navigator will be :)