Please sign in to post.

San Gimignano

Comment only, no questions but replies/ comments are always welcome.
I totally understand that San G is a "tourist" town but let's remember that we are all tourists, that's why we are on this site. The "tourist" term is used too often in reference to San G, mostly in derogatory terms. It is really busy especially from around 9.30am to 4.30pm when the buses arrive then depart. Honestly everyone, you can still move around, it's no worse than central Florence, Rome or even Siena. Accept it kick back, relax and enjoy another coffee and gelato or both and people watch. If you decide to stay in San G you will find a totally different environment before and after the times I have noted. The town changes completely, you can enjoy quiet walks, outstanding views and find small deserted nooks and crannies. Restaurants for dinner are not totally crowded out but it's always better to check if they may need a reservation for a busy evening. The storekeepers and other residents are also more relaxed and unhurried. I am happy to do my bit to try to save the reputation of this gorgeous little place. For those who have not been to San Gimignano think of an Italian Riquewire in the Alsace or Rothenberg Ob Der Tauber in Germany. In a way I hope I am not too successful in changing readers minds as I love San G just the way it is. As always comments are appreciated. Bill.

Posted by
8142 posts

Since we had a car, we were able to avoid rush hour at San Gimignano. And you're right about it being a laid back community "after hours."

The countryside outside S/G is just lovely, and there are many, many great agriturismos to stay in. I would say virtually every farm in the region has apartments and/or rooms for rent as a source of additional income. It's also easy to get there after getting off the 4 lane hwy. south of Florence at Poggibonsi.

Posted by
2455 posts

Bill, I endorse what you've said here. I thoroughly enjoyed San Gimignano, where I spent an excellent couple of days a while ago. Also, beyond the Main Street going up the hill, and the main square, other areas of the town were quiet even during the heart of the day. Of the two "dueling gelatarias" on the main square, one claiming to be "the national champion" and the other "the best in the world", my vote goes to the quieter one, somewhat less pizzazz, but a little tastier product, in my humble. I'll also toss in a recommendation for the small leather-working shop just OUTSIDE the main gate into town, operated by a lovely couple. It is named "Namche Bazar" in honor of the husband's trip to the Himalayas of Nepal, back in his youth. Wonderful view of the countryside out of the shop's window.

Posted by
11613 posts

Bill, I think what you say applies to many small cities. I am always amazed at Orvieto before 10am and after 5pm.