Please sign in to post.

safety in rome

I have read so many scay pickpocket stories about Rome - is there anyone out there who has had a happy, non-scary experience in Rome?!

Posted by
7049 posts

Sure, millions of people - myself included. Let's take a little perspective - even if it does occur, money is replaceable - yes it sucks, but it's not one's health we're talking about or something more important. Secondly, don't carry around wads of cash or other valuables in the first place. Works for me.

Posted by
7209 posts

Never had a problem over the last 15 years on several trips to all over western and middle Europe (including Rome). It's easy to get caught up in the hype of pickpocket stories.

Posted by
9110 posts

I think Don's post is the key. (Not disputing Don or his pal). It's always somebody who knew somebody who probably .... I posted something the other day about how easy it was to replace a lost passport. Then, BAM!, the back channel opened up and I was chided for not wearing a money belt to avoid being pickpocketed. I never said I was pickpocketed, I said I'd lost the damn passport. It was either on a trail or out in the middle of a sheep field. Nobody else was around. I flat-out lost it - - and couldn't find it - - it was lost, that's it. I'd assume the same thing could happen in the middle of a city. The fact that something's gone doesn't explain how it happened unless you saw the event at the crucial moment. People tend to get jostled in the subways all the time. The fact that you were bumped and saw somebody get off the train (quite a few people get off actually) and then found out later you were sans whatever doesn't explain when the loss took place. So far in the thread we've got nine names and an unknown. Neglecting that some names might imply pairs, and that some names report multiple visits, that's a ten percent pickpocket factor. What if somebody took these stats and took them as gospel? And passed them on? That'd have me hiding under the covers afraid to go anywhere.

Posted by
15043 posts

Rome is one of the safest capitals in Europe, therefore the world. But if you want to compare some crime statistics between the US and Italy, someone has done the work for you. It's in Italian but numbers are numbers. http://www.ossif.pr-prevenzionerischi.org/2_Delitti e quoziente/Delitti.html Comparisons between Italy and the US start with chapter 4 in the document. I think you'll be much safer if you get out of Florida as soon as possible and move to Rome.

Posted by
9110 posts

Ummm....well......err..........me, every time and a whole bunch of times over a whole bunch of years. There must be more...........oh, yeah........everybody I've known.

Posted by
7737 posts

This reminds me of the saying "The plural of anecdote is not data." You're right to suspect that maybe pickpocketing doesn't actually happen all that often. People rarely get on a travel board to start a thread saying "We were just NOT pickpocketed in Rome." We've spent weeks in Italy with no problem. That said, I imagine that one of the reasons we haven't had a problem is that we've been alert to situations where we might need to be concerned about possible pickpocketing. We try to dress in a way that doesn't scream TOURIST! We don't speak loudly in English in public places, and I've learned enough Italian over the years to be able to use that when necessary. The pickpockets will always go for the easiest "mark", so the goal is to make them pick someone other than you.

Posted by
9110 posts

And I, on the other hand look like a complete goof, wear the brightest shirt/jacket I own so the people I'm herding can find me (or Herself when I wander off) and speak loudly enough to be heard well, switching to Italian only when forced to. I'm also the dolt that both Chinese and Japanese folks walk up to in Shanghai and ask for directions. Those two languages I handle fairly well, thank you, but I have no idea why I get picked on - - I look like exactly what I am. I've still got all my stuff.

Posted by
23178 posts

Maybe you are reading too much, or have a different definition of scary. We have spent nearly a month in Rome over the past few years, were just there two weeks ago, and we have never had "scary" experience with pickpocket or anyone else in Rome. While some boast about seeing a pickpocket on every bus, we have yet to see anyone who looks like a pickpocket. But, who knows, I probably don't know what a pickpocket should look like. Use some precautions, stop reading all the negative stuff, and you will be fine. You probably are safer in Rome than Florida.

Posted by
133 posts

I have been to Rome twice and have always felt comfortable and safe. Just use common sense precautions like you would in any big city. It is an amazing place. Relax and enjoy yourself!

Posted by
105 posts

Been twice and never had a problem. Rome is probably the least scary place I can think of. Relax and have fun!

Posted by
192 posts

Been to Rome several times and never even had a hint of a problem. My friend, on the other hand, had someone try to pick his pocket in the metro (probably by an accomplice of a woman who was breastfeeding her baby). Of all the people I have met over the years he was the only one who had an incident. Just be aware of what is going on around you and you should not have any problems.

Posted by
46 posts

My wife and I have just spent 4 days in Rome...our first stop before heading to Florence. After reading all of the hyperbole on Rick's site, and many threads on here, I too was concerned. Well, Rome is like any other major metropolitan city in the world (with the exception of a couple of thousand years of history and ruins to add to the mix). We never felt concerned, and on the contrary, while the culture here may be different - people are a little louder, out there, not hindered by the social stigmas we sometimes create in the US - I never felt for my safety. We have enjoyed the sights, and yes, there are cheesy gladiators and numerous hat, flower and other "hawkers", but IT IS A TOURIST DESTINATION! There are going to be people trying to sell things and getting in your face... The city is hustling and busy, the food is great, the sights are something to comprehend. Stop reading all of the worrisome things from this site and just travel and enjoy. Be safe like you would anywhere else...don't walk down dark alleys, don't go into questionable situations. Rome has much to offer, so soak it in...

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for all of the positive responses. You are right, I've read too many negative stories, so it is refreshing to hear good news. I will be careful, but now not paranoid.

Posted by
15043 posts

In the Italian parliament there are about 15% of the Parliament Members who are convicted felons, mostly for corruption, tax evasion, mafia association, solicitation of underage prostitutes or some other white collar crime (Berlusconi probably for all of the above). They don't get arrested because MP's have immunity from arrest. As Beppe Grillo (an Italian comedian turned politician) says: "The crime rate inside the Italian Parliament is higher than in the Bronx. People from the Bronx, when they visit Italy, are scared to even get close to the Parliament building." As long as you stay away from Italian politicians I think you'll be fine.

Posted by
3387 posts

Just go and have a good time! I've been to Europe a bazillion times and have NEVER been pick-pocketed because I don't give anyone the opportunity. Don't stick stuff in your pockets, don't have your cell phone out where it can be grabbed, and leave your passport in a safe. If someone seems overly friendly, then be overly unfriendly - if there is a ruckus of some kind, walk the other way - if you are being jostled immediately face the person, put your hand on your bag, back away, and stare them down. I've rarely had to do these things but if you need to then don't be shy. All that said, just use the same common sense you would use if you were in a big American city!

Posted by
11613 posts

In over thirty years of traveling to Rome, I've never been pick pocketed. When I lived in Miami...

Posted by
5471 posts

Haven't been pickpocketed in Rome ... only in London. But just to allay your fears, I can assure you that getting pickpocketed is not actually scary ... it is mostly just annoying. Just about everything except the cash is replaceable.

Posted by
23178 posts

You get pickpocketed when you get careless. Familiar surrounding make you careless. New York son and girlfriend have made several trips to Europe with no problems. Where does girlfriend get pickpocketed? In a New York bar with a group of friends celebrating a birthday.

Posted by
55 posts

Like you, I think the warnings about gypsies and pick-pockets tainted my trip-planning. Then I got to Italy and realized that confidence and awareness of your surroundings are the best protections you could use and prevent anyone from getting close enough to touch you, let alone, pick your pocket. I felt safe all of the time....the exception was at the Trevi Fountain. It was around 9:30 p.m. and crowded. Several young men/women were working the crowd. They would push up to you when you were trying to take a photo of your partner and say, "Let me take your picture of the two of you" and they would try to take your camera. My husband firmly said, "No, thank you." One lady near us took the young man up on his offer and he requested money before giving her back her camera.

Posted by
339 posts

We have traveled through Europe and Mexico and have never been pickpocketed or threatened in any way. We always use public transportation and stay out late at night. Even at the places which we are always warned about such as the Ramblas in Barcelona we felt safe. However several weeks ago after my husband had surgery and we were walking in the hall at the hospital, several credit cards were removed from my purse and my husband's drivers license was removed from the drawer in his roomat the hospital where I work. I think that it is wise to always be aware (like we WEREN'T at the hospital).

Posted by
154 posts

I am a single woman "of a certain age". While in Rome and Florence 2 years ago I never once felt anything but comfortable - walking everywhere at all hours. Don't worry, but do watch your purse sensibly - I did carry a money belt. sue

Posted by
3 posts

I just came back from a totally fabulous, non-scary trip to Rome, and I went by myself. I frequently took public transportation. I walked all over the city. My biggest distress was getting bitten by a mosquito that found its way into my room. I keep my passport and money in a pouch that I wear around my neck, and I feel more secure if I wear a light jacket that hides the fact that I have a pouch around my neck. I also walk with a daypack on my back, and any valuable contents are in the compartments inside that are well-protected. You just have to be smart, alert and cautious as you would in any city, including in American cities. And, you do need to be careful crossing the street, but there are so many people on the streets of Rome, that you usually cross in groups and do give the approaching drivers eye contact.

Posted by
1003 posts

I have only been to Rome 3x so far and will be ending a girl's trip to Italy there in July with my 2 sisters and niece. Have rented an apt.near P. Navona and can't wait. Have never had any problems or ever felt threatened. The first 2 visits were in 2002 and 2006 with my husband and our 2 sons when they were in jr. high/high school. In Oct. 2011 I went with one of my sisters (her 1st visit to Rome) to visit her daughter who was spending the fall semester here on a study abroad. We rented a beautiful apartment for 11 nights near Piazza Navona and enjoyed every single minute. We were out late every night. The 3 of us were gazing at St. Peter's one night at midnight and walked back to our apt. and never for one minute felt unsafe! We also used buses and the metro alot. My niece has very fond memories of the semester she spent in Rome, was very sad to leave and can't wait to return this summer. Have a good trip and enjoy!

Posted by
118 posts

I've never had any problems when traveling. However, when I was on a bus in Rome some man started yelling that this woman had just robbed him. She jumped off the bus at the next stop as she had squeezed through the crowd. I can't remember if he followed or not. When we were in Paris a group of young women started pushing up on us as we were walking near the Eiffel Tower at night. I didn't like the way they were on top of my then-fiance's backpack so I stepped aside to tie my shoe and asked him to wait for me. The girls were forced to pass. Of course they started shouting at me that they weren't going to rob us. I thought that odd as I hadn't said anything except, I have to tie my shoe. Whatever. Were they going to try to open the backpack and take whatever was in there? Who knows but I was aware of the situation, made a decision that made ME feel better and went along on my way. I would have done the same thing here in LA. My point is, theft happens everywhere. Be aware. You are probably more vigilant walking to the ATM in your home town than you are as you are gawking at sites in a foreign city with cameras, cash and credit cards stashed all over you. If you are aware, then you will be confident and you will enjoy yourself. Also, hold onto your passport. I heard they can be easily lost in sheep fields. I haven't seen it myself but I HEARD from somebody that it happens!

Posted by
1815 posts

I arrived on Xmas eve in the late afternoon and wanting to stay awake until midnight mass went for a long walk. I never get lost, but I did that evening (after dark of course). I blame the jet lag, but I may have been so excited to be in Rome I wasn't really as careful as usual to map out where I was going. Anyway, I found a bar (the Italian kind with coffee, etc.) and asked the barista if he spoke English and explained I was lost, but wanted to get back to the Termini (my hotel was near there). He not only gave my directions but walked me out to the street and pointed out a landmark where I was to make a very important turn. Take precautions (always wear your money belt), but relax and enjoy. I even went on the 64 bus several times alone with no problems. I felt safer in Rome than in downtown Minneapolis at night.

Posted by
1068 posts

Just read this string of helpful, thoughtful replies, and it hit me that even our reassuring answers make Europe sound scary and pickpocket-infested! "Don't stick stuff in your pockets, don't have your cell phone out where it can be grabbed, and leave your passport in a safe. If someone seems overly friendly, then be overly unfriendly - if there is a ruckus of some kind, walk the other way - if you are being jostled immediately face the person, put your hand on your bag, back away, and stare them down." "I felt safe all of the time....the exception was at the Trevi Fountain. It was around 9:30 p.m. and crowded. Several young men/women were working the crowd. They would push up to you when you were trying to take a photo of your partner and say, "Let me take your picture of the two of you" and they would try to take your camera. My husband firmly said, "No, thank you." One lady near us took the young man up on his offer and he requested money before giving her back her camera." "Don't worry, but do watch your purse sensibly - I did carry a money belt." "I keep my passport and money in a pouch that I wear around my neck, and I feel more secure if I wear a light jacket that hides the fact that I have a pouch around my neck." "You just have to be smart, alert and cautious as you would in any city... and, you do need to be careful crossing the street... and do give the approaching drivers eye contact." "I've never had any problems when traveling. However, when I was on a bus in Rome some man started yelling that this woman had just robbed him." So in other words we are saying, "Nope, not scary at all, BUT... be wary! Be vigilant! Wear a money belt! And lock/zip everything! And if you get pushed or jostled or harassed... fight back!" Anyone else think this is really quite a mixed message? :-)

Posted by
118 posts

I DIDN'T have a problem in Rome. Some other guy did. I also didn't have my wallet in my back pocket on a crowded bus nicknamed the wallet eater. My point is be vigilant about your surroundings but don't EXPECT to be robbed every time you turn around. Or heck, DO expect it but have a good time anyway.

Posted by
26 posts

Was in Italy March 2013, the only time we had a hint of something was standing at a kiosk in the train station in Florence. A gypsy sidled up real close behind us, luckily my 12 year old was watching, I just turned around and stop in Italian very forcefully. We watched as she did this to others who were intently studying the screens. We used the subway in Rome all the time as they were always less crowded than the bus, especially the really notorious one that Rick talks about. Just be smart and wear your money belt. It'll be fine.

Posted by
392 posts

I don't think it's a mixed message. Look, any big city has its criminal element. Most of the time, being aware of your surroundings and vigilant will deter any petty crime. That is not the same at all as being paranoid. There is a balance to be struck between being careful and sensible and being so afraid it ruins a trip (not trying to imply that the original poster would be one of those people, just making a point). I was not robbed in Rome, for the record. Heck, I lived in a dangerous area for years and was never robbed. Because I am careful!

Posted by
922 posts

I would like to nominate Roberto's post about the Italian Parliament for a Gold Star award. Nothing like genuinely witty humor to dispel fear and put it all in perspective.

Posted by
392 posts

I lived in the Bronx for years. But I stayed well away from the Italian Parliament!

Posted by
11507 posts

Someone else touched on this and I agree,, we must have different ideas/tolerances for what is "scary". Pickpocketing isn't really scary, ( since if they are good, and many are, you are not even aware its happened until after its over!) ,, its annoying! Over 3 decades of travel I have had two attempts made on my purse,, once in 1985 and once a few years ago. Both times my reaction was ANGER and I screamed at them as pushed them away.. both times they scurried off like the rats they are..
Both times I was also angry with myself since I was aware both times of my carelessness or preoccupation at the time that made me a target. ( I have enough knowledge and experience I should have been a bit more aware, not everyone does though I do understand.. ) I have been to Rome alone with my 11 yr old, we were never "scared" but were were always aware( I had educated my dd about pickpockets etc) ( and btw its the same in a lot of places, Paris and Barcelona etc) .. My child loved Rome.. and she considered it very safe.. so please don't be "scared" ,,the stories you call "negative" are actually helpful if you think about it..

Posted by
392 posts

Pat is right. Most of the crime we might be exposed to in Europe will not be violent crime. Pickpocketing is an annoyance, but less so if you keep your passport and most of your cash and cards in a money belt.

Posted by
59 posts

I'll second your nomination, Rose. Very clever post, Roberto! I can relate living near Chicago as we have our fair share of jailed politicians here too and it is certainly best to stay away from them! Mostly they just pick our pockets through taxes and parking tickets. But to answer the original question, I felt perfectly safe in Rome with my kids even on packed Metro trains at rush hour. In fact, I felt safer there than in many places in Chicago. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't haul too much stuff around to distract you ... nothing different than in any large city. Don't worry and have fun!

Posted by
2527 posts

My wife and I enjoyed a very happy experience. A member of our group did not adopt basic safety measures as advised and had the good stuff picked without a trace.

Posted by
3 posts

Feeling safe and secure at all times, we spent four great and criminally uneventful days in Rome and will return this year without a second thought. But a fact of life is that crowded tourist-filled cities attract thieves whose job every day is to come up with crafty ways to separate you from things of value. Some are brazen. A few can be fearsome. But most are happy to move on to another mark if they sense awareness on your part. Be smart, especially in crowds, always aware of your surroundings. Beware of commotion-it is a great distractor. Do what the guide books all say, and you will have a wonderful time.

Posted by
9404 posts

"Also, hold onto your passport. I heard they can be easily lost in sheep fields. I haven't seen it myself but I HEARD from somebody that it happens!" Also very witty. Gold Star for karen too... Been to Rome twice, never had a problem, never saw a problem.