Please sign in to post.

safety in Rome

I need to stay a couple of nights in Rome and would like to know if the Trastevere area is a safe area.

Posted by
4152 posts

Rome is a very safe city but you should still use the normal precautions. You'll be fine in Trastevere. donna

Posted by
719 posts

Trastevere is a great neighborhood in which to stay. You get to experience the "real" Rome, since you're further away from the main sites. While it takes a bit longer to wander to the sites, wandering through Trastevere itself is wonderful, even at night. Rome's biggest crime threat is pickpocketing, so be wary of that. Have a great time!

Posted by
7737 posts

Yep, what they said. We stayed in Trastevere for a week a couple of years ago and it's very safe. FWIW, there's virtually no violent crime in Rome and I've never even heard of a mugging. You will probably want to find lodging nearer to the river, rather than farther south, mainly for ease of access to the main sights. We stayed near Piazzale Sidney Sonino (sp?). Very convenient.

Posted by
32220 posts

Mary Jo, Although some of the streets in Trastevere are small and secluded, I never felt unsafe anywhere in that area, even at night (actually, that's when the area is at it's most "lively"). Of course, there's the "usual" motley crew of "scammers" in that area as well, especially around the Santa Maria in Trastevere Church (I try to ignore them). On weekend nights, there seemed to be a lot of "partying" happening at Piazza Trilussa, as there's often a fairly good collection of empty bottles there in the morning. However, by about 10:00, the sanitation crews have been through the area and it's totally clean again! Have you chosen accommodations yet? Happy travels!