Please sign in to post.

Running in Italy

I will be visiting Venice, Florence and Rome next May. Is it safe to run in those cities early in the mornings (before 7am)? Not sure what time sunrise is. Thanks!

Posted by
243 posts

I have run in many locations in Italy, and I have never felt unsafe with the possible exception of along the Tiber. It is however somewhat difficult to find suitable places to because of narrow sidewalks and street traffic. However you should be relatively OK before 7 am. The best place to run in Rome is the Villa Borghese. I ran there a couple of times back last January and did several loops. Another option is south of the city along the Appian Way. There is park land and evidently a dirt path along the road, although I did not run there. My plan was to possibly use public transportation to get there and run near the aqueducts and make my way back by running or hopping on the public transportation. You would have to investigate this. Along the Tiber was a bit creepy, because if go down near the water level, you are far below the hustle and bustle of the city. There are some homeless people who are probably harmless and they did not give us any problems whatsoever, but it was not too esthetically pleasing.
A great run in Florence is across the Ponte Vecchio to the Piazzale Michelangelo. It climbs up to the best view of the city and is part of the Firenze Marathon. Make sure you bring a camera.

I did not run in Venice and I probably would not try because of the many steps and narrow lanes.

Posted by
32917 posts

There are some fairly long stretches of bridgeless straight and wide paving, at early times they may be quite useful - I'm up early often in Venice but I don't run.

Fondamenta Nuova, along the Cannaregio Canal, Strada Nova, along the north side of Giudecca, Zattere towards the cruise terminal from the end by the Customs House, though the park by and around the Arsenale... I bet you can find somewhere.

Posted by
8513 posts

I did not try running there, but early morning Venice is when the trash is picked up and stuff delivered, so I am guessing the narrow passages and bridges are not conducive to good running room.

Posted by
7455 posts

You may or may not encounter this at home, but many Romans, unfortunately, don't clean up after their dogs. Sidewalks can, therefore, be strewn with dog droppings, which might or might not affect your stride, or whether the soles of your running shoes might pick up foreign "material." That, and dodging motor scooters could be some added challenges.

As for sunrise in May, at the beginning of the month, sunrise is just after 5:30 AM. By the end of the month, the sun will be coming up a half hour earlier than that. Have a great trip in any event! :-)

Posted by
15260 posts

It's safe even at night (that is when I used to jog in Florence since I can't get up in the morning).

In May there is already twilight by 5am since sunrise is before 6am. So by 7am the sun is already way up on the horizon.

To me the bigger issue is to find a suitable place to run if you are downtown, because in the historical centers you may not be necessarily close to a park, so you will be limited to running in the streets, which after 7am start to get busy with foot and vehicular traffic.

I didn't live downtown Florence, but rather on the east side and along the Arno river. There are very nice paths along the Arno both east of downtown, east of the Ponte San Niccolo' (ponte=bridge) and west of downtown (Cascine park, west of the Ponte Alla Vittoria). From Ponte alle Grazie you can also run to Piazza San Niccolo' and at the tower you can go up the Rampe on Viale Poggi, to Piazzale Michelangelo. Another popular route is from Piazza Ferrucci up the Viale Michelangelo to Piazzale Michelangelo and then descend to Porta Romana through viale Galileo.

I've never run in Venice or Rome. I know the villa parks (villa Doria Pamphili, villa Borghese) are popular jogging spots in Rome. In Venice you are stuck with the calli (streets). But in May they get really busy with walking tourists, so you should try to go early and stay away from the busiest calli near the grand canal. Probably along the Giudecca canal it would be a bit less crowded.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks everyone for your advice!! I will probably not plan on running in Venice.
Brushtim- thank you for the sunrise times! So helpful!
Nick- what a great idea to run over Ponte Vechio!

We are staying near the Pantheon in Rome and near Santa Croce in Florence. So, I will attempt to run in those two cities. Will definitely run with my iphone to take pics!! :)

Posted by
565 posts

My absolutely favorite place to run is in Rome at the Circus Maximus. I've only been at dusk but it was very busy with runners. Last time I was there, the southeast end was closed for excavation. That was a couple of years ago so it may still be the case. It wasn't a problem as the track is huge and you got a bit of elevation change in as well. There's always been a snack cart there too so you can grab something when you are done. It's close to where you are staying as well. Ditto the advice about the river in Rome.

Posted by
787 posts

I've run in all of those cities, usually around 6:30 - 7 am. I love being out and about at that time.

In Rome, we stay near the Piazza Navona. I usually get myself over to the Tiber and run (at street level) along that. One time I ran over to the Vatican / St. Peter's - that was a sight. I counted buses; I think there were 17 parked along the street (I assume that's where they park overnight; there were few people out at that time). I ran past Castel Sant'Angelo too. Another time, I ran up via del Ripetta, past Ara Pacis, to Piazza del Popolo. I, too, would love to run the Circus Maximum, but it would be a hassle to get over to there from the Pantheon area to run.

In Florence, we stay near Santa Croce. I ran along the Arno (I don't have a great sense of direction, but if I run by a river, I can't get lost), but my best run was to head over to the Alt'Arno and up to the Piazzale Michelangelo. There were other people up there, to watch the sun rise over the city.

Venice is easy to run in, and just as delightful as the other cities. We mostly have stayed in the Cannaregio; there are a few long stretches there - I would run down the Strada Nuova, then over to the Fondemente Miseracordia to the end of the island. When we stayed closer to St. Mark's, I would run through Piazza San Marco (great when almost empty), then along the Riva degli Schiavoni as far as I could go. The pavement is quite wide there, with plenty of room. I would see a number of runners there.

Enjoy!

Posted by
16392 posts

Like Lexma, I have run in all three cities, with pleasure.

In Florence we run along the Arno to avoid traffic issues. We saw other runners.

In Rome! we were staying in Trastevere near the river, so we ran along the Tiber, at the river level, not on the street. In four mornings, running both directions from Ponte Sisto on different days,weWe saw homeless people (2 total) under one bridge on one occasion. We did not feel the least bit threatened or that it was a sketchy area. However, running the other direction was more scenic,mNd we saw lots of other runners going that way.

There is no need to skip running in Venice!!! Just get out before 8 am, and make your way to one of the wide sidewalks bordering a canal--Zattere in Dorsoduro, Riva della Schiavioni near San Marco, and aout to the end near sant'Elen! or any number of calles in Cannareggio. We also ran laps up and over the Rialto Bridge some mornings. Twelve laps ( over and back) constitute a workout. If you go early enough, you will have it almost to yourself.

Posted by
18 posts

Roberto / thanks for the Rome villa parks suggestions and Florence routes!

Leslie- I'll have to look into Circus Maximus. Thanks!

Lexma- thanks for your insight! Your routes are right up my alley!

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks, Lola!! I am an early morning runner, so will definitely give running in Venice a try! The Rialto Bridge workout sounds like a good idea, especially to balance out all the wine and food I'll be consuming! :)

Posted by
39 posts

My son runs for his college and ran most mornings we were in itàly. He loved running in Venice. He said he ran toward San Marco and then took a left along the water to a great park. He ran along the Arno in Florence and in the Borghese gardens in Rome. Enjoy! He really had a great time.

Posted by
11613 posts

There is a big public garden in Venezia, you can try that.

Posted by
658 posts

I haven't run in Venice but I have run in the summers in both Florence and Rome (spent a month in each place). I usually run around 6 am. The problems I 've had have been with footing- uneven sidewalks. Florence I ran just about everywhere and loved it. Rome I preferred running along the river although I've also run by Villa Borghese and parts of the Rome marathon. Happy running!