Please sign in to post.

Running in Italy

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Italy in a few weeks and will be spending time in Rome, Florence & Venice. I'm a runner and while I don't need to be running every day, I'd like to get in a few 3-mile runs and two 7-8 mile runs throughout my trip. Do any of you know of good areas for me to run through in each of these cities? I'm planning to do all of my runs earlier in the morning before the crowds hit, so would love to get all of your feedback on gorgeous areas to run through. For Florence in particular, I'm hoping to do a run throughout part of the Tuscan countryside if possible!

Posted by
658 posts

I'm a marathoner and spend a good amount of time in Italy. In Rome, I usually run along the river, in the park by Villa Borghese or if early I like to run along Via del Corso, Nazionale, to the Coliseum and just all through that area. This is part of the Rome marathon course and you can google it. Those are my usuals.

Florence... in the two months I stayed there last summer I ran along the Arno and then did a quick loop to go around the Duomo. For longer runs, I ran up to Piazzale Michelangelo and just wound my way around the streets and back down along the river. I have also run in the Parco delle Cascine and there were usually quite a few runners. Beautiful views on all of these. There is a Wednesday night running group that you can find online with UniversoSport.

Venice- the only way I could get longer runs in that didn't require constant concentration was along the causeway. Made my way to the bus area and then just ran out and back. Saw quite a few runners doing this. Not gorgeous.