Please sign in to post.

RS South Italy versus Sicily 2019

In the planning stages of our 8th RS tour. There will be 4 of us, myself, wife, grown daughter and my wife’s BFF who, despite being over 60 has only been to Europe once, when she accompanied us on the RS Spain tour, with a few days in Paris. (Husband won’t travel). Looking at Sicily vs. South Italy. Our family has been to Italy independently a few times and took the Village Italy tour a while back. BFF has never been but understands our reluctance to re-visit Venice and Florence. Rome is different as I’m not sure we have come close to seeing it all. Our dates are restricted as my daughter is a teacher so it’s early June before she finishes and closes up her classroom, usually taking mid-June tours. We all live in a hot climate and are not too bothered by the heat. Sicily: If we did that tour probably fly into Rome and stay 3-4 nights then fly to Palermo. South Italy: Would arrive in Rome for probably 2 nights to catch the biggies the tour does not. Looking to hear from folks who have done both tours, how they would rate them, which they would choose and why, and any other nuggets. Earlier or later travel dates are not an option, thanks.

Posted by
32202 posts

Alan,

I've taken both tours and they're both exceptional, but of course slightly different.. It would be hard to recommend one over the other. Has your group expressed any preference for which one they might be "leaning" towards?

Posted by
2707 posts

Mixed opinions. Some want Sicily given the great time we had in Greece and perceived similarities. Others S. Italy because of Sorrento, the Amalfi coast. Might wind up a coin toss.

Posted by
3112 posts

Here's an idea that might match everyone's wish list. Arrive 3-4 days early and go to Sorrento instead of staying in Rome. Then fly from Naples to Palermo for the Sicily tour (which is great btw). There are some low-cost carriers that have direct flights from Naples to Palermo. Ferry from Naples to Palermo could also an option, but it's a long ferry ride. If flying to Palermo from either Rome or Naples, I'd suggest flying the day before the tour begins. Not only does that provide a buffer should the flight be delayed, there are some very worthwhile Palermo sights not covered by the tour.

Posted by
2707 posts

Thanks Frank! Now you’ve got me thinking. We could fly to Rome, spend a few nights, then to Palermo for the Sicily tour. Then Catania to Naples and spend some time (3-4 days) in Sorrento, the Amalfi coast, fly home from Naples. That might win the discussion if everyone is OK with the time involved.