Please sign in to post.

RS Italy 2009

I have the 2005 book and was wondering if anyone has read the 2009 book? Is it very different? I will be going to some new places, some old places (returning for more!).

Posted by
345 posts

I gave away my old books so I can't check, but my recollection is the both the '08 Italy and Florence/Tuscany books were expanded compared to the '07 editions. I don't think it had new sections per se, but rather more detailed information in most sections. Worth buying.

I would no longer buy a new book every year since I find my own non-RS accomodations and restaurants, but if you're in the class of '05 it's time to upgrade to a contemporary edition.

Check amazon.com for good bargains.

Posted by
2026 posts

Check out your library if you are wondering whether to buy the newer edition. Don't know how much different they are from one another.

Posted by
525 posts

I would choose the updated version of the RS 2009 book vs. the 2005 as some of the B&B's you may be looking at to stay at may be closed. Some restaurants he recommends may be closed and will contain some newer comments. Even the euro vs the dollar is different and you would be able to budget better but we never know what the euro or pound will be when you actually travel.

Posted by
354 posts

The towns and cities that Rick Steves favors will remain practically the same between guidebook editions. But you will find variations in recommended hotels (some dropped, some added), prices, opening hours, museum layouts, recommended restaurants, and transportation. "R.S. Italy 2009" is currently for sale on the internet for $14.70, a small price to pay for up-to-date info.

Posted by
23343 posts

We have guidebooks going back to before 2000. Our experience is that they do not vary a lot year to year -- say 2008 compared to 2009. But the changes add up and there would be some significant changes from 05 to 09. However, I don't think anyone is going to take the time compare page by page so that they can tell you the difference. As someone suggested -- go to the library and do your own homework. I always find it interesting where people try to save money. Going to spend hundreds if thousands on a trip and you are trying to avoid a $20 expense. Generally speaking we have found a current guidebook will save more than price of the book. For example -- we were recently in Spain and a hotel offered a free breakfast (10E) if we had the 09 book. Since there were four of us for three days, that saved us 120E. The first three bites of breakfast paid for the book. Buy the book -- need to keep Steves in business.

Posted by
3112 posts

I have the 2009 Italy book and it is different from the 2005 book. It includes some recently opened or reopened attractions and hotel/restaurant recommendations have changed (some e-mails have changed, some hotel's prices are much higher and some hotels/restaurants from 2005 are "off the list"). I think the color maps are new since 2005 and there's a fold out Italy map included for 2009 (similar to Italy planning map). I go to Italy every year and find it handy to have the most recent book, even when just returning to previously-visited places.

Posted by
251 posts

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are many accommodations/restaurants/etc. that give discounts to those carrying a Rick Steves book for the current year (as mentioned in his guide). If you come across some these places, the book will more than pay for itself on your trip with the discounts you will receive alone, not to mention the helpful up-to-date information. So, I'd say the $15 would be worth it.

Posted by
11 posts

You can search it on google books. It has limited preview available. You can atleast compare the contents and number of pages devoted to each section.

Posted by
492 posts

If you are using the book for site open times and prices, then an update is a good idea, things do change like the Forum no longer being free and now being combined with the Colosseum ticket and the entrances you can actually use. We had the 2005 book too in preparation for a 2006 visit, we did update to the 2009 book for an upcoming trip. There is more info on some places, slightly different recommendations. The walking tours have also changed a little bit. If you use the book more for background, then you probably are fine, if you use it for planning, I'd get the newer copy.