Please sign in to post.

RS Best of Tuscany tour 2022

I can't find any reviews for this 12 day tour. Is it new? Trying to get an idea as to whether I will need hiking boots or walking shoes and what and where are the hotels in Chianti, Val d'orcia and Elba.

Any insight would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
2707 posts

It’s new. We were booked for the first year it was offered, 2020, then….well you know! Looking forward to your review. We plan on taking it in ‘23, hopefully. And you’ll know your first and last hotels soon (if you don’t already) but not the others until closer to departure. I’ve never had hiking boots after multiple RS tours. But well broken in walking shoes are a must.

Posted by
10 posts

I am also booked for this tour in Sept of 2022. As it was new for 2020 and then COVID happened, I am looking forward to reviews from those that go before me.

Posted by
27 posts

I am currently waitlisted on this tour for five different dates in April, May and September and hopefully one of those opens up and I get to go. May the sunshine be with us all as who wants to pack rain gear. The more I look at the itinerary and explore what there is to see and do, the more excited I become as this tour is somewhat off the beaten track and the only real big city is Florence.

Florence can be overwhelming with tourists depending on what time of year you go but it is certainly a wealth of treasures, not as many as Rome but just as exciting. Lots of museums, churches and artisan shops to visit, great food and gelato! For a fun thing to do and good food is the Renaissance Dinner at Palazzo Borghese, a stunning palace with palatial rooms, where in the dining room you are served by staff in Renaissance clothing playing period musical instruments. A night you won't forget!

Posted by
5 posts

Just got off the wait list for this tour for next summer. Will probably arrive in Florence a few days early. Any suggestions for the extra time? We are most interested in history, wine, food, but open to most anything.

Posted by
23267 posts

There is a very nice TI just off the square. Hit them for suggestions of walking tour and perhaps a tour to surrounding wineries. You should check what is on the Tuscany tour so as to not overlap. But there is a lot to see and do in Florence. You will not need "hiking boots" but would have a good walking shoe with nice thick sole. I wear a leather, oxford style shoe (ECCO) with a heavy, lugged sole similar to a hiking boot sole. Great on the cobble stone streets. I find typical tennis, walking shoe to be too light weight.