Please sign in to post.

Rome- Where to stay?

Hello! This will be my first time traveling to Europe and I'm looking for any recommendations on which area to stay in Rome? Any recommendations for airbnb or hostels that you have heard good reviews about! There will be 3 females staying together so we are looking for something safe and clean! We will be staying for 3-4 days!

Posted by
1025 posts

I think your first step will be to purchase a guide to Italy. Most of us suggest the Rick Steves Italy 2019, which is for sale on this website or on Amazon. Buy it, read it, decide where you would like to stay and get an approximate estimate of how much you are willing to spend. Once you have narrowed down your search to a few options, come back and we can be of more assistance to you.

Posted by
350 posts

It was a number of years ago but I loved the Beehive. Very small hostel with some private rooms and one dorm room with three people a hotel may be a better deal I like the Panda near the Spanish Steps

Posted by
1224 posts

I agree that doing some research first would help. There are many areas of any city and they offer different pluses and minuses. And then there's your own preferences and interests. For my part, I am a middle aged mom of tw/eens, so what our family likes would probably be different than a 21 yr old, or a 65 yr old without kids.
We stayed in the Trastevere area of Rome, and were very happy with that choice. Its like the hub of a wheel in terms of location, so we were able to walk to everything (but per the above, we prefer to walk - up to an hour - to get around. We like to see all the little things along the way that we feel we miss when on transit. Some people would rather take public transit or stay closer to certain places). The Vatican, Colosseum, Pantheon were all 20-30 minute walk away. And Trastevere is bohemian and less in the center of the tourist crunch, which we also liked. That said, many people prefer other areas, which is why it would help you to read about them. Same goes for Paris and AMS. I like staying in the outer rings of AMS or beyond (the De Pijp neighborhood), but others want to be very central - which I find too touristy in a yucky way). In Paris I like the Marais, St Germain, or Latin Quarter. I stay in Airbnb's most of the time, so cant advise about hostels.
Research. Its a lot of the fun :)

Posted by
2375 posts

Look into staying at a place run by nuns. We stayed at the Casa Maria Immacolata. Very nice place in a good location. Such places are good for non couples as most rooms are with single beds.

INformation and booking can be done at www.monasterystays.com

One does not have to be Roman Catholic or even religious to stay there.

Posted by
11247 posts

You have posted the same question for four cities. As Jessica and wbfey1 have pointed out, some research other than posting here is in order. A guidebook’s recommendations will have been vetted professionally, rather than getting the one-off “I stayed here” remarks you will get on the Forum. To get a feel for what neighborhood is best, you need to think about what you want to see and do, how you plan to use transportation, and so on. Airbnb has become a generic term for vacation rental. An apart,ent. Whether through Airbnb or VRBO or Booking.com can be good for three friends who each want some space of their own, but the downside is there is no one “at the desk” to help you with ideas, directions, etc. A small hotel of B&B with three rooms might be better in this situation. Give you each some privacy which after a few days together you may value more than you think.

So read the guidebooks and think about what experience you want: self-catering apartment, hosted B&B, or barebones hostel. There is no good shortcut to doing some basic guidebook research on adoration trip to Europe (or anywhere).

Posted by
222 posts

We have used AirBnB in many countries including Italy. All of our experiences have been amazing and very cost effective. The website (app) is very friendly which includes a map while searching to show the location. With anything else, you must read the reviews! These reviews can make or break your trip.

Happy Planning!