Please sign in to post.

Rome + Venice in the winter 2018

We are planning a trip Italy from December 28 - January 5. The plan is to split our time between Venice and Rome. Is anyone willing to share some advice regarding these locations in the winter months?

Posted by
7871 posts

Great time to go. Well I live in Chicago so I was happy with high temps 50 to 55 degrees fahrenheit in Rome when I was there December 29 -31 2016 although it will get chilly at night (just drink the wine and you will be alright), It is chillier the further North you go in regards to Venice. I would imagine if you are planning to ring in he New Year in any one these cities you should book the lodging well in advance. Or you can do what we did New Years Day after ringing the New year eve with live music and fireworks in small hill town intimate Orvieto (the hotels sold out over New years weekend ) we went to Siena. Rome was pretty crowded so if you want to tour any museum monument famous basilica you better reserve the space online; and in some cases buy a tour depending on what you are interested in . I've been to Venice once in February and it was crowded still so the same thing: reserve in advance to circumvent long lines