Please sign in to post.

Rome trip in June

Greetings, fellow travelers! We have a bit of a dilemma and would love your input. We usually plan our trips a year in advance or in some cases, last minute when we didn't have a strict plan and just wanted to go with it. Our only son graduates in June and between the end of senior year events, graduation, summer job, and freshman orientation, we're in the position of heading to Rome in mid-June. We want to stay 12+ days. My son is interested in Rome and Pompeii; my husband wants to see the Amalfi Coast. My husband and I were in Rome and Florence 25 years ago, and we've all been to Venice at least twice. While we want to visit and see lots of things in Italy, we've traveled enough to know that European transportation takes longer than expected. We want to see some unusual things as well, quirky places like the Park of Monsters in Bomarzo for example.

We'd love to hear your ideas for places to visit in the southern part of Italy - areas in a reasonable radius of Rome that would make this a memorable senior trip for our son and an enjoyable trip for all of us. We like walking and hiking, museums, concerts, etc. We're all mobile, flexible with activities, etc. The reason I call this a dilemma of sorts is because we'd normally already have tickets to everything, and at this point we have nothing. We've resigned ourselves to paying premium prices as a result, so if you also have suggestions about reducing the cost, we'd appreciate that too! Thanks so much for your time.

Posted by
4746 posts

Questions regarding the Sorrento / Pompeii/ AC area coming up here on the Forum almost daily now. The congestion and traffic chaos is worse than ever in this area, and you're right, moving around here takes time and patience.
Review the related posts under Italy, as there is a wealth of helpful info. You are correct, lodging availability will be tight with only three months to go. I understand how difficult coordinating schedules is, and I'm glad you'll carve out this time for your family.
Have a great trip.

Posted by
88 posts

Are you planning on staying in Rome the entire time and taking day trips from there? Or will be you be splitting up the time with another location?

Posted by
2 posts

Ciao_Jane, we are thinking about spending 5 nights in Rome and taking day trips and then 3-4 nights on the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii area and flying home either from Naples or going back to Rome.

Posted by
49 posts

Hi there! What a wonderful idea...enjoy traveling with your son while you can (ours is 20 years old). I'd suggest maybe 5 nights in Rome, 4 nights in Naples, and 3 nights in Positano, Amalfi, or Ravello (somewhere on the Amalfi Coast). This will give you 12 nights. If you like walking, hiking, and museums, I think I'd stick to Rome and Naples for sure. The public transportation is good and just pick up a new Rick Steves Italy book to get ideas and have your hotels booked. This will also give suggestions on great itineraries. I would suggest not worrying about too much outside of Rome since Rome will keep you busy enough without "day trips" per se.