Please sign in to post.

Rome Transfer

I need a recommendation for a transfer from Fiumicino Airport to Hotel Lancelot and then on a different day from Hotel Lancelot to another hotel that Holland America Cruise line is having passengers meet at. I booked with Viator already with Trip2Rome but I can cancel. It is my first time going overseas with my daughter and I want everything to go smoothly. Would you recommend going to Stefano's RomeCabs online and booking directly with them or through TripAdvisor (they seem to have more reviews on TripAdvisor) or ask Hotel Lancelot to do the transfer?
Thank you for your suggestions.
Cynthia

Posted by
7084 posts

Welcome to the forum!

Viator is a third party reseller-they don’t actually run any car service

Book directly online with RomeCabs or send them an email detailing your needs

They get excellent reviews here
Use them for all of your transfers

https://www.romecabs.com/

Posted by
5165 posts

...Stefano's RomeCabs...booking directly with them...ask Hotel Lancelot to do the transfer...

Yes, use RomeCabs. We've used them a number of times and have always been pleased. We send them an email directly stating our needs, and get a response within 24 hours.

The only problem with having the hotel arrange the transfer is that you might wind up with a regular cab, a private car service, or the desk clerk's brother-in-law. Happened to us once in Rome, but there were four of us and only one in-law so things went well.

On the other hand, many will say just walk to the official taxi rank and get a ride there. If you do that, have a 3x5 card with you with the name and address of the hotel and the flat fixed rate. I think it's still 50 Euros to anywhere within the old walls.

When going from one hotel to the second, if a taxi stand in nearby, just walk there and take a taxi. Or have the hotel arrange for an official taxi.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you Christine and TC- I tried booking with Rome Cabs, but they are booked out through mid-August. Rome Cabs recommended Rome Chauffeur as another reputable transfer company. We have a booking through Rome Chauffeur now and I cancelled the transfer through the less known company.
Thanks again for your recommendations!

Posted by
2669 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Lancelot last year and just took a taxi from the official stand at the airport, absolutely no issues whatsoever; waited perhaps 5 minutes in line, handed the driver a card with the hotel name and address, confirmed the flat rate (I recall it was 50 euros, but you can check that on the airport's website under the taxi section) and enjoyed a pleasant ride into the city. I used a taxi twice while staying there and the hotel called for me; again, no issues, driven expediently to the Borghese Gallery and then again back to the airport at the same flat rate. No need to pay more than necessary or worry about pre-arrangements.

Posted by
6294 posts

We stayed at Hotel Lancelot during our Rick Steves Rome tour. We liked it and the location.

I believe the best choices for you would be to take a cab from the cab stand at the airport or take the Leonardo Express train to Termini train station and then the metro to the coliseum. And then a short walk. We thought it was pretty amazing to pop out of the metro and see the coliseum right there in front of us on our first trip to Rome.

Many will urge that you take a cab, and for many it may be the right choice. For us, we like to not have to set a meeting time and place, worry that we’ll miss the meeting time and then deal with a driver and any surface traffic which Rome has a lot of. Plus, a train will be half the price, but, for us, it is less stressful.

You could just wait until you arrive. Then determine what you are up to. Take a look at any cab line and make a decision at that point.