Please sign in to post.

Rome tour .

Hey guys I will in Rome for a couple of days should take tour with a tour guide for 7 hrs I will be going to Vatican coliseum n other sites about 12-15 sites all together about 300 euros for 2 people. Would you guys do it ?

Posted by
1994 posts

Are you saying you're doing 12 to 15 sites in 7 hours? If so, be prepared for some run-throughs. If, by the Vatican, you mean both the Vatican museums and St. Peter's, that typically takes a half a day to a day. A similar amount of time can easily be spent at the Coliseum/Forum/Palatine hill.

I find a good guide to be an amazing benefit – even when I know a place well. I would just suggest you ensure you understand what you're getting – e.g., are you entering sites or driving by them, how much time will you have at specific sites, and are the sites the ones that most interest you? Also consider your traveling style – do you want to explore a place or are you happy just knowing you seen it? You're not going to be doing much exploring, with 12 to 15 sites in 7 hours.

Posted by
2455 posts

Hard to tell if you are talking about hiring a private guide or going in a group tour. Also, are you talking about 7 hours and all these sites in just one day, or spread over your two days in Rome? And, what month are you talking about? Trying to cram too much in just one day, especially during the summer with big crowds and great heat, can really wipe you out and take away from your enjoyment. When I was in Rome for just a few days last fall, I took some great tours with Walks of Italy and with Dark Rome Tours, both fine firms with excellent guides. Context Tours has also been recommended by many, especially if you like a more intellectual approach, as I understand their guides are scholars in fields like history, art history, religion, etc. if you are more specific about just who you are paying the 300 euros to, and just what you are getting for that, many on this forum could be more helpful.

Posted by
72 posts

Well the site I went thur was on trip advisor bestofrome tours. I tried to go with a more popular one but they were booked up for mid sept around 22-24 so they recommend me to them I spoke to them I would be going inside both the coliseum and St. Peter's and the other sites I would go to. It would be a private tour just my wife and I tour guide.

Posted by
4152 posts

I honestly don't know how you can possibly fit in 12-15 sites in 7 hours. You can easily spend an hour inside the colosseum and not see everything. Same for the forum, palatine hill, pantheon, vatican museums, St Peters........

Before committing to this I would get a detailed itinerary and see exactly which sites are included and which costs are included. Most private guides like this don't include entry prices in their fees so you would pay extra to go inside the Vatican museums and colosseum.

You ask if I would do this type of tour and the answer would be NO. It's just not possible, in my mind, to visit 12-15 sites in Rome is 7 hours unless you're just driving by them with a stop to take a few pictures.

Donna

Posted by
2455 posts

Well Rudy, your question was would we do what you have outlined, and I agree with Donna that I would not. It seems to me it would be an expensive, exhausting and not very satisfying experience and day. When you say a couple of days in Rome, do you mean exactly two full days, generally meaning three nights, or will your stay be different than that? It sounds like this will be your first time in Rome. I personally think it is a good idea to go with a good guide to maximize your experiences. Guides not only have a lot of information that you would unlikely absorb on your own, but they know their way around very well, never getting lost or confused around sites, which is easy to do on your own. With just a couple days available, this is what I would do, and basically have done last year. First, get, read and take with you a good guide book, either hard copy or electronic. The current Rick Steves Italy or Rome book would be a good choice, as they offer a lot of very practical information about getting around, walking tours, restaurant tips, etc. Second, I have had good experience with Walks of Italy, although there are certainly other good tour companies. They offer great guides, small groups of about 12, and also offer an RS discount, 10 percent I think, if you ask for it. With two days, on one morning I would (and did) take their Pristine Sistine Tour, which means an early start, but includes the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel before they get crowded and hot, and then St. Peter's. The second morning, not so early, I would (and did) take the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine tour. In the afternoons, on your own, you could do walks of neighborhoods like Travestere or the Jewish ghetto, get reservations for Borghese Gallery in a lovely and relaxing park, go out to the ruins at Ostia Antica, just relax some at your hotel, or take in various other sites of your choosing. In the evening, along with dinner, walk the historic center and various piazzas with their illuminated sites and fountains, shopping, cafés and gelatos, etc. Other people here know Rome much better than I do, but I've been in a situation somewhat similar to yours, it seems, and now you have my best thinking and experience. But we are each different with our own travel styles, preferences and budgets. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
2455 posts

An addition: I just noticed on the Walks of Italy web site that they also offer a Rome in a Day group tour, which includes the Vatican, Colosseum, and various other sites in the historic center, 7 hours for 99 euros per person. Again, there is still an RS discount if you ask about it. This is especially billed as a tour for people visiting Rome with very little time to see it. You might check out their web site, and/or call their US toll-free number which is staffed by very knowledgeable and helpful people.