Please sign in to post.

Rome to Venice

I'm taking my 2 children (15 and 25)to Italy in November. We have 8 days in Rome, 4 tours booked (one in Florence at the Uffizi) They are both very interested in seeing Venice as well. I would just like to read some different points of view.We have Friday and Saturday free, so we could go. I know the train ride would be more than 4 hours, and around 90 Euros per. I have been there before,I am wondering if it is flooded then? Any thoughts?

Posted by
425 posts

Want to save a LOT of money on the train between Rome and Venice? Here's how:

Take the Intercity (IC) train "Matilde Serao" from Roma Termini at 10:44, arriving in Venice 6 hours later. Book the "AMICA" advance purchase fare as soon as you arrive in Rome, for only about 34 Euros each way. That's nearly 50% less than the cost of the faster ES train.

On the return trip, the IC train departs from Venezia S. Lucia at 13:09, arriving in Rome 6 hours later.

The downside to taking this IC train is that you lose the better part of the day, but you save up to 60 Euros per passenger round trip in doing so.

All other trains between Rome and Venice are the faster and more expensive ES trains.

The IC train has 8 second class and 2 first class railcars, and no restaurant car. Second class is fine for this trip. All seats are reserved.

Posted by
348 posts

Venice would be great but dollar for dollar I would imagine your children would love Cinque terra also and the train ride is easier.

I dont know your days but you could try a night train to venice so you have more time

Posted by
536 posts

Leigh - Venice is one of a kind and your children would love it!! Not a lot of time but , at least, while you're over there - why not? I've taken a lot of people to the area - an excellent hotel is The Hotel Casanova, directly behind the Piazza San Marco, and easy walking to The Rialto Market, The Grand Canal, etc. Go for it !!

Ciao, Greg

Posted by
7737 posts

I believe that flooding in Venice is impossible to predict more than a day or two in advance. It's dependent on rainfall and winds from the south.

Posted by
10344 posts

Venice floods about 100 hundred times a year, most frequently occurring in November (when the OP is there) and March.