Please sign in to post.

Rome to Siena?

Due to the impending aircontroller strike in France--my non direct flight is getting rerouted directly to Rome. I arrive at 6;00 a.m and need to get to Siena that day. What is the best way? Do I need to take a train into Rome to switch? Is there a way to get to Siena from the airport? Scrambling to make some changes now.

Posted by
6231 posts

Leonardo Express to Termini
Then fast train to Florence ( Firenze SM Novella)
Then regional train or bus to Siena

There may also be a bus from airport to Siena that probably routes thru Tiburtina

Posted by
8173 posts

Like was said, you'd need to take the train up to Florence. A bus is the best way to go from there.

The bus lines up across the side street from the Florence train station. They're to the right and on the block behind McDonalds restaurant. The bus carries you into the center city at Siena where if going by train you'd be dropped on the edge of the city.

Posted by
73 posts

Can you take a train from the airport? I saw one that was like 4 hours?--train to Siena or maybe Train from Airport to Florence?

Posted by
73 posts

Thank you. So I take a train from FCO directly to the Tiburtino station in Rome? Traveling alone and I will be tired for sure. Just want to make sure I understand what I am doing. Appreciate it.

Posted by
15269 posts

The bus from Rome to Siena is probably the best option as the train is more expensive and requires multiple changes (Airport to Termini or Tiburtina, then train to Florence, the bus from Florence to Siena).

Itabus and Flixbus have many buses from the Tiburtina bus station, which is located next to the Tiburtina train station (several trains go from the airport to Tiburtina).

There is also a bus from Fiumicino airport directly to Siena with no changes (uses the coastal route through Grosseto), but it is only one in the morning (at 10:45) and one in the evening. The bus departs from stall no. 10 at T3.
https://www.tiemmespa.it/i-nostri-servizi/linee-per-roma-e-fiumicino/fiumicino-aeroporto/
Purchase here online:
https://www.tiemme.tpl.busweb.it/bw/it/ricerca

Posted by
73 posts

Although.... I am kind of liking that 3-hour direct from the Airport to Siena. Just wondering about that one--maily has anyone ever taken it and can recommend it? It is a bit of a wait from landing to leaving on the bus... but now that I am bumped to ITA from Delta--I understand they are late A LOT and so it might work out timing wise. Plus going through customs--If I end up only waiting 90 minutes or so... vs struggling into Rome tired.... ?? OK you can see this change has thrown me for a loop (-:.

Posted by
6231 posts

“Customs” only takes a minute-walk thru a door unless you have something to declare

Passport control is what takes time but the last 2 times we arrived at FCO it was super quick ( most recent 4/2022) so don’t think it will take 90 min

Posted by
73 posts

Thank you! I arrived. The directions were great. I took the train to Tiburtina (was a little stressed because all of the machines to validate my ticket were out of order); took the Flixbus and sadly an older woman took my reserved window seat and immediately shut the curtain so I could not look out. Oh well.

Posted by
473 posts

We too are planning to take the bus to Siena from Rome. Glad it worked out well for you. We are going in June.