Please sign in to post.

Rome to Siena

What is the best/fastest way to get from Rome FCO to Siena?

Posted by
32219 posts

Ashley, As you'll be travelling from the airport, rail travel will probably be the quickest method. The shortest trip I could find was 4H:04M, with two changes at Roma Tiburtina and Chiusi-Chianciano Terme, current second class fare listed at €21.55. As I recall, there's also a Bus from Tiburtina to Siena, but after a long international flight that's probably not a method I'd choose. There are typically fewer Bus departures every day, so it may be challenging to find one that's convenient for the arrival time of your flight. When you arrive at Siena, you'll have to take a Taxi or Bus from the station up to the city (I normally use Taxi). Happy travels!

Posted by
58 posts

First took the express train to Termini. (crowded). We took the express train (very comfortable) to Florence and then a bus from the bus station just across the street. Take the express bus to save riding with the school kids. You will stop right in Siena and might be able to walk to your hotel. (stayed at Alma Domus 5-10 minute walk) We landed about 8AM and arrived in Siena about 3:00. It all depends on the timing of your flight. Although every connection was on time, it still was an adventure.

Posted by
2207 posts

Ashley, I agree with Ken to head for Roma Tiburtina station on the FR1 Metropolitan, but I think I would take the bus - despite the long overseas flight. Here's why: If you ride the FR1 Metropolitan and then the Sena bus to Siena, it's just one change... at Roma Tiburtina. You walk about 200 meters from the train station to the bus station. Your luggage will be stored under the bus - so no fuss, dragging up train stairs, having to stow it over your seat, or fears of theft. The bus is quite comfortable, and even has a WC. I'd stop at one of the cafe's in the FCO Train Station while you're waiting for your FR1 train to depart and pick up some sandwiches/snacks/drinks for the trip. Your only concern might be falling asleep! Set your cellphone or other device for 3 hours! The bus will drop you off in downtown Siena (there are actually a couple of stops depending on your time of day/route). No need to take a taxi from the not-so-downtown train station. So you make one connection! Total time to Roma Tiburtina from the FCO airport on the FR1: 45 minutes. Trip time time to Siena on the SENA bus: Approx. 3 hours; It may be a few minutes slower, but only ONE change makes its much easier - especially with luggage and worn out from a long flight! You could also take the train through Grosseto - we've down that a few times, but connections are tight and once we were actually "stranded in Grosseto" for 3 hours waiting for the next train... I'd not recommend that for first-timer travelers, overseas travelers, or folks with lots of luggage!

Posted by
2207 posts

As Ken and Jerry has pointed out... this option may depend on when you arrive, clear Terminal 3 Arrivals at Fiumicino Airport, and the departure times of the Sena bus. I'd certainly look at the schedules for the bus on your arrival date. The buses generally depart to Siena at 08:00, 10:30, 12:30, 14:00, and 15:30 from Roma Tiburtina station. The best one looks like the 10:30 option - depending on your flight. Despite the temptation, I'd NOT pre-purchase ( although I've used my pre-bought, timed-ticket on earlier and later buses with no hassles - the buses never seem to be full). You just never know when your flight will arrive. If these times don't work for you, then as Ken and Jerry say... head for the trains! I'd carry the routes for bus and train options and then you can make a decision once you clear Terminal 3. When I first arrived in Italy, we generally trained or drove to Siena (my wife's favorite city), but later we started riding the bus... We've has great experiences on the SENA bus except for October 20 when we arrived in Rome to a massive traffic jam due to the flooding. I doubt you'll have those issues headed to Siena.

Posted by
4535 posts

I completely agree with Ron. The bus is convenient and comfy and once you settle in, you can relax until your arrival in Siena and from there can probably stroll to your hotel.

Posted by
58 posts

Also, at FCO, we had to line up for the train ticket and then wait a half hour for the train, so you might consider taking a cab to the bus or train station to make your connection, especially if there are 2 or more. Maybe hook up with some others and take a minivan.

Posted by
7737 posts

I've taken buses and trains in Italy and the buses are indeed overlooked way to often by tourists. That said, in this particular instance, I would recommend the train, even though it would take longer. Here's why: I assume you'll be going to Siena right from FCO because you will just have arrived from the long transatlantic flight. The last thing I would want is to then transfer to a bus for a three hour trip stuck in a seat that's almost identical to an airplane, and with no opportunity to move around. On a train, there's a lot more room because the seats are grouped so that they're facing each other. And if you want to stretch your legs, you can go on a walk up and down the entire length of the train. You can't do that on a bus. Also, because the seats face each other, you're more likely to meet interesting people. One of the highlights of our trips to Italy was having an hour long chat with a young Italian woman on the train from Bologna to Verona. One of my goals in trip planning is to to make the "getting there" an experience as much as the "being there", when possible. Go to Ron In Rome's excellent website to see the way that the trains are set up for seating. Happy travels.

Posted by
2207 posts

Michael, makes a great point about the seating arrangements. Although the SENA seats do have plenty of room, you won't be getting up and walking around on the bus... It's a question of comfort and/or convenience. The good news is that you have plenty of options! If you want to make one-stop, get dropped off in the center of town, and the "time-frames" work, take the bus. If being able to walk around and have alternative seating is important to you, and you don't mind making connections... take the train! As you can see, everyone has different preferences (I like heading to Siena on our motorino and my wife - always riding on the back - hates it!), but I think you're getting solid advice that will enable you to make an informed decision. However you get there, you'll probably be beat... but the next day when you wake up... you're in Siena!

Posted by
1 posts

New questions: 1. Does anyone have a name or website url for the bus company? I'll be giving directions to others based on what I've read here and need to be completely correct and very specific. 2. Will the schedules be the same on a summer Sunday as any other time? 3. If you were arranging this for a pair of 70-year-olds who are not very experienced travelers and who will be tired from an overnight flight, which mode of transportation from FCO to Siena would you recommend?

Posted by
8163 posts

The flights from the U.S. usually arrive mid morning to noon, and your internal clock will still be about 9 hours off. I would suggest you take the Leonardo Express train into Rome. Spend a day there, and get over your jet lag. Then, take the train to Florence, and walk outside the side door to catch a one hour bus to Siena. The bus drops you off right in town center, where a train trip takes longer and leaves you outside of town. Italy is a great culture shock for an inexperienced traveler, and it's a country best taken slowly.