Please sign in to post.

Rome to Siena

What is the best way to travel from Rome to Siena? Bus or train?
Thanks advance for advice.

Posted by
257 posts

To go by train. You have to change train one time. Than you have to take the bus from Siena train station to the town center.( up the hill if you stay in town). If you take the bus. The bus station is close to the town center and you can walk. You will save some time.

Posted by
3112 posts

If you're staying in Rome prior to going to Siena and have flexibility on your departure time, the direct bus may be a good option. I believe there are 2 buses per day from the Tiburtina bus station, one in the morning and one late afternoon. Don't recall whether it stops at Piazza Gramsci or just at the Siena train station. Trains offer much more flexibility on departure time. The less expensive option is via Chiusi. From Chiusi, some connections to Siena are by train and some change to a bus that runs in lieu of the train (your train ticket covers either). You can also take a high-speed train Florence and then a separate bus to Siena (short walk between train and bus stations), which is the more expensive option. That bus does go to Piazza Gramsci. Going via Chiusi or Florence both take about 3.5 hours. I opted to go via Chiusi last year and it worked well.

Posted by
5 posts

I find those buses from the website posted but it keeps refusing to take my credit card. I guess I'm going to have to buy them when i get there Anybody has any luck buying online?

Posted by
61 posts

Kelly, I would have to agree with bus. I took the Rome/Tiburtina to Piazza Gramsci /Siena route. It was comfortable, convenient, reasonably priced, and no transfers. I had no problem purchasing my ticket at the Bus Station.

Posted by
4535 posts

The bus is the most direct and easy way to go, with many options per day. Tickets can be bought from the ticket booth.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi, I'm arriving in Rome Ciampino on Monday 15th July 2013 at around 950am. I need to get to Siena as soon as I can. Is Rome Tiburtina the only place where I can get a bus from to Siena? If so, my current plan is taking the Terravision bus from Ciampino to Termini and then either getting the metro or train to Tiburtina where I will get the bus. If there are buses going from Termini direct to Siena then this would cut my journey a little shorter. Also, does anyone know how much it costs for a bus ticket from Tiburtina to Siena? Many thanks,
Benny

Posted by
8700 posts

Benny, You will have to leave from Tiburtina. The first SENA bus you could catch leaves Tiburtina at 12:30 and arrives in Siena at 15:05. The next one leaves at 14:00 and arrives at 16:35. The fare is €24.

Posted by
411 posts

We took the bus from Siena to Tibertina ten days ago and the ticket price was 24 eurosI would assume that the reverse route would be the same price. The bus was very comfortable and it was a pleasant ride.

Posted by
66 posts

I would also suggest going by bus from Rome and I wouldn't worry about buying your tickets now online. We are in Rome, now, and have made some trips from Rome using the Tiburtina station. Just give yourself plenty of time to make it to the Tiburtina station and to stand in line waiting to buy the ticket. We only stood in line 5 minutes or so, but just leave yourself a little leeway with the time. If you haven't used Tiburtina station before for buses, just know that you get the ticket for the buses outside the station.