Please sign in to post.

Rome to Sicily

planning 2 weeks in October, flying into Rome travel the coast to Sicily and back to Rome. Suggestions for best stops to make and travel train or bus. I will be traveling alone

Posted by
3112 posts

Except for Naples, Sorrento, Capri and Amalfi Coast, most of the interesting places south of Rome (e.g. Matera) are challenging by public transportation. I would suggest spending some time in Sorrento area either on your way to Sicily or on the way back, and fly the other leg. Both Meridiana and Air One charge the same for a one-way flight as for a round-trip segment, so that option is both cost effective and efficient.

Posted by
21 posts

Okay, I guess I am checking for flights, any particular airlines?
Since I am at it, can Pompei be done on my own or is a tour worth it?

Posted by
3112 posts

Pompeii can be done on your own by following the tour in Rick's guidebook, by just exploring or a combination of both. Some people prefer guides. There was a recent discussion about Pompeii guides. Scroll down to earlier topics or do a search (use box at upper right).

Posted by
10344 posts

"do a search (use box at upper right)."

The search box at upper right is broken (needs to be reprogrammed but won't be anytime soon), it only finds a fraction of prior posts relating to your search.

Instead,

go here and you'll find everything there is

We've really been trying to get the word out for the last year: the search box in upper right doesn't work,

that's why we have set up the pseudo-sticky with Search Instructions (above link) on each of the 6 forums.

Posted by
247 posts

Take the train from Rome to Naples and see Sorrento and Amalfi. Fly Air Italy from Naples to Catania. If you were to take the train to Sicily, Maratea and Tropea would be good stops along the way.

From Catania fly blu-express, Meridiana or WindJet back to Rome, or if you were to return to Rome from Palermo, you could fly easyJet, blu-express, Meridiana or WindJet.