Please sign in to post.

Rome to Positano

Hello,
Just wondering about the best way to get to Positano from Rome airport. Train or car rental? Also, if car, are there tolls on the main highways? Thanks

Posted by
1829 posts

Well ; car will be faster.
Yes there are tolls on most every highway in Italy

There are no car rental places in Positano ; at least no big ones that would allow a car to be rented there and dropped off in Rome.

You would have to get to Salerno or Sorrento to rent a car.

Your better options are likely: bus to Sorrento ; train to Naples and then from Naples on train to Rome
bus to Amalfi ; then another bus onto Salerno ; train to Rome from Salerno

alternatively you could use a taxi/private driver to take you to the Salerno train station or Naples train station to save time and aggravation.
Or taxi / private driver all the way to Rome but that would be quite costly.

Posted by
15825 posts

There are no car rental places in Positano ; at least no big ones that
would allow a car to be rented there and dropped off in Rome.

As I understand it, they're wanting to get FROM Fiumicino (assuming they're not coming into Ciampino airport) TO Positano and not the other way around.

I wouldn't rent a car as it would be a pain to have on the Amalfi during high season, if that's when you're going. Additionally, it's not usually recommended to jump, jet-lagged, into a car after a long international flight, and I personally think that's especially true for navigating the Amalfi.

"Best" depends on how much you're willing to spend. You'll also be relying on your flight to arrive on time, if making pre-arrangements such as purchasing train tickets in advance or trying to coordinate with, say, ferry schedules if you're going during a season they're running.

All of the options are mapped out on the positano.com website so you might want to study that a bit to see what appeals to you:

http://www.positano.com/en/how-to-get-here

I will say that quite a number of travelers have posted that they've taken the Express train from Fiumicino to Roma Termini, a 'fast' train from there to Napoli Centrale, and hired a private driver or taxi from there to Positano to eliminate the need to additional transfers by ferries or buses. It is not an inexpensive option but they felt was worth the price for ease. You could also take a 'fast' train from Termini to Salerno and use a private driver from there.