Please sign in to post.

Rome to Positano

We are traveling to Italy in late June, arriving in Rome mid morning and heading to Positano right away. Would it be easier/faster to go through Naples or Salerno?

Posted by
7341 posts

Here is a link to a search of this newsboard. You have asked a complicated question and it would be better to read multiple posts to get the answer that best suits your family.

https://search.ricksteves.com/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Rome+Positano&button=

I was pleased to see the degree of improvement in the Search function here. You do still need to select threads from more recent times, once you get the results.

Posted by
23313 posts

That is not a simple question and nothing is fast. Positano is not easy to get to. You can take the train from Termini to Salerno but Salerno is the opposite end of the Amalfi Coast so it would be a long bus ride (or ferry) to Positano. Some of the trains to Salerno go through Naples but to do it in a half day with jet lag could be a real challenge.

Couple of other options would be to Naples and a ferry to Positano or Naples, Sorrento by train and a bus or ferry to Positano. There is nothing quick. I would consider spending the night in Rome or even Salerno and starting early the next door when you are refreshed and ready for a long day of travel.

Is there a particular reason you need to head directly to Positano?

Posted by
1046 posts

I suggest taking the train (Freccia) from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale. Get the uninteresting part of the trip over with quickly. Then take the ferry from Naples to Positano: you'll have views, views and more views as you go across the Bay of Naples and around to the Amalfi Coast (that's Capri off to your right). The ferry ride actually may end up being easier and quicker than the train to Sorrento and the the bus to Positano; or the train to Salerno and the bus/boat to Positano. Let the trip to Positano be part of the vacation and not just a way to get to your vacation.

Posted by
23313 posts

I would agree with Robert if they are still awake. Timing may become a big issue. A mid morning arrive in Rome sounds like an overnight flight from the US. Need to get to Termini (Rome train station), an hour or so, on to Naples, probably a taxi to the ferry port and then the ferry. I don't know what the ferry schedule is but it will be late in the afternoon by the time they hit the ferry.