Please sign in to post.

Rome to Pompeii

My wife and I would like to do a 1 day trip to Pompeii from Rome. Do we need to see the museum in Naples? can it be done after? Pompeii? Pat

Posted by
71 posts

My boyfriend lamented not taking the time to go to the museum in Naples after touring Pompeii, as that is where many of the artifacts from Pompeii are displayed. He did the trip from Rome to Pompeii in a day and said he could have toured the museum before taking the train back to Rome, but for whatever reason did not. So, I think, if you are up for a long day trip, it can be done.

Posted by
4152 posts

You don't have to see the museums but it's where most of the relics are. I would check to see what time the museum closes and then plan your day around that. If you leave Rome early you can spend several hours in Pompeii and then visit the museums or you can spend the entire day at the site. Donna

Posted by
811 posts

a day trip to pompeii from rome means a very long day, given the distance and pompeii is so big, i can tell you even a day trip from sorento didn't give me plenty time to fully enjoy pompeii. but if you move really fast you could do it. adding the museum in naples is really a stretch - the museum has great stuff to see at least take 2-3 hrs, and naples itself has some really cool sites as well, so if you think you'll go back to italy, you should just see one, and save the other on a 2nd visit, even so you still will run a lot just to make a day trip from rome work.

Posted by
23293 posts

David is correct. Far too much for one day. Save it for another trip or overnight in the area.

Posted by
515 posts

Here's another approach.  Assuming the Museum opens @ 9 (check its web site, word of mouth is risky) then the early fast train  and 10 min cab ride from Centrale will have you at the museum in time to be back at Centrale by noon and at Pompeii 1/2 hr later. Having done the museum you will have all afternoon to do the ruins without having to worry about leaving enough time to do the museum. Just a thought.

Posted by
3 posts

We want to thank all of you these suggestions will help us to make a decision. Pat & lil

Posted by
7737 posts

And of course there's the much more user-friendly alternative of Ostia Antica, about an hour from Rome on a one euro ticket. As big as Pompeii, but without the crowds. And unlike Pompeii, it has shade and cool breezes. But then again, it doesn't have the dramatic story of Pompeii. You could always keep either option open and decide once you get there. If you're enjoying Italy so much that you know you'll go back, save Pompeii for a future trip that includes Sorrento and the beautiful Amalfi coast. If you decide to do that, include Herculaneum as well.

Posted by
1018 posts

Michael from Seattle makes a good point for Ostia Antica, which is very close to Roma. We were there last month and it has everything Pompeii has except the famous history. However, it does possess two amenities absent from Pompeii and they are shade and a breeze. Pompeii is immense and HOT, HOT, and HOT. Ostia is immense and way more comfortable. Several years ago we went to Pompeii with a company called enjoyrome.com. They offer no-frills transportation down and back in a large bus with one mid-point stop each way. Roma to Pompeii and touring the site makes for a LONG day. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
15591 posts

Before or after? I plan to spend at least 2-3 nights in Sorrento to see Pompeii, Herculaneum and the museum in Napoli. If the weather's good, I'll stay on to explore and enjoy the Amalfi coast. So - unless it's pouring rain (then the museum wins), is there a preferred order? What might be a reasonable time allocation for each sight? I don't like to see things at a rushed pace, and usually need to rest weary feet here and there.

Posted by
515 posts

before/after For me the best experience in Pompeii was to get away from the famous parts and then stroll a nearly empty street or maybe sit on an ancient curb to soak in the atmospere of an in tact (sans roofs) Roman City. That plus seeing all the famous stuff took me about 3 hours.  2 FYI 1. Google Street View has much of the ruins so you can do a rehearsal walk through But it is a pale representation of what it feels like to be there. 2. Today's newspapers report that the bright red color that you will see in the art work in the ruins, known as "Pompeiian Red", was originally yellow not red. I would still visit, nevertheless. The Museum is for me a must do because of the huge Alexander Mosaic which may well be a fair depiction of Al. Although it marks me as a barbarian I did the entire building in about 1.5 hrs.  Many folks take more time, with good reason.  Depending on your day, you can walk the Spaccanonapoli on your way back toward Centrale and your luxurious CV ride to Sorrento.      

Posted by
4152 posts

Chani, it really depends on what you like. If you wish to see all the relics and things saved from the sites before actually visiting the sites then you should do the museum first. I personally visit the sites first. I would see Herculaneum and then Pompeii. Herculaneum is small and can easily be combined with the museum if you choose. Pompeii will take the whole day. If you have more than one day to spend at these sites that may be the way to go but it really all depends on you. I don't think the order will matter in the long run. Donna

Posted by
7737 posts

If you do the museum first, you can see the huge scale model of Pompeii to get a good sense of reference for the site. I believe it was made in the late 1800s and is extremely impressive.

Posted by
1116 posts

We did the day trip last year. It was towards the end of our trip to Italy and my friend and I decided to take a guided bus tour to Pompeii that stopped in Naples for less than hour. Unfortunately it did not include a trip to the museum but we figured the ""luxury" of being driven around on a bus with a tour guide was worth sacrificing the museum. Of course, we did throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain and figured we can return and do a longer trip to this area which will include pizza and the archeological museum in Naples and a longer visit to Pompeii and a stop in Herculaneum. Although it was just a brief visit, it was worth it to me and I can't wait till I can return!