Please sign in to post.

Rome to Pompeii

We'll be in Rome the beginning of October after an, " Europe My Way" tour and would like to visit Pompeii as a day trip. Looks like we have three options: a guided bus tour (about 160 bucks), a direct ,transportation only, Rome to Pompeii bus trip( about 80 bucks ) and an on our own Rome-Naples-Pompeii train trip. What do you think is our best bet? We are geezers, but fairly fit.

Posted by
15602 posts

The fast trains from Rome to Naples take one hour and 10 minutes. I just checked trenitalia.com and they offer nonrefundable, nonexchangeable tickets for €19. Then you would take the local Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. The trains run about once an hour and the cost is about €4 if I remember correctly. That's about $60 round-trip per person. It's a short walk through the Naples train station and down a couple of flights of stairs to the local train. The local train stops right outside the entrance to Pompeii. The train is superfast. At one point I noticed that it was going 237 kph. So I think it would take you less time to get there on your own than with the bus, even if you have a long wait for the local train. The only hurdle I can see is making sure you get back to Naples in time for the train back - there aren't that many fast trains and the local train can be behind schedule. AFter all that, you won't save much by going on your own instead of taking the bus-only tour option. It's possible that you would have a longer visit at Pompeii on your own, depending on the bus schedule. I spent an entire day there and didn't see it all, but for many people, a half day is plenty. You certainly don't need a tour guide for Pompeii. There is a small booklet with all the main sights and brief descriptions for free at the entrance (it is the same info that's on their audio guide). You can download Rick's audio guide for Pompeii - very enjoyable and informative - for free.

Posted by
198 posts

Hi David, The Trenitalia fast train is great! It is clean, comfortable and the experience is awesome. The Circumvesuviana commuter train from Naples to Pompeii Scavi (archeological site as opposed to Pompeii the city, so make sure to get off at the Pompeii Scavi stop). It is an interesting experience, but be prepared for possible crowds (we went in May, I don't know about October) and most likely squished standing room. However, it is unique (albeit gritty)! However, I am glad for the experience. I can see why pickpockets like this train because people are so jammed together. However, just be careful and you should be fine. At one point some musicians came aboard and played their instruments, including accordian in an effort to collect money from people. Interesting! I also agree that you don't really need a guide at Pompeii. At first we looked for a guide (not the expensive ones, but locals trying to earn some money with their site knowledge) but we could not find a reasonably-priced guide. It turned out that the booklet worked just fine because everything on the site is numbered along with the book and there is a description of everything. The map is helpful navigating the site. And just for fun, we followed a tour group or two (not to listen in) but just in the general direction, because we figured that the group was going to some of the best sections, because the site is very large. Also, talk to workers who can give you some interesting information. We didn't do the free audio, but I am sure it would be nice as well. Have a wonderful time! Ruth

Posted by
17 posts

Many thanks Chani and Ruth for your very helpful information, suggestions and good wishes. I'm sure we'll have a fine time.

Posted by
22 posts

Because it was so many years ago, I do not recall the name of the tour company we used, but we bought a bus tour from Rome to Pompeii. The worst thing about it was that the tour company wasted our valuable time stopping at "factory tour" spots, such as an inlaid wood factory and a cameo factory. It was clearly set up as a money grab. While the drive down the coast was beautiful and the stop in Pompeii was worthwhile, I'd rather arrange my own transportation or at least make sure the tour company does not include these types of stops.