Please sign in to post.

Rome to Pompeii

What would be the quickest route to take to Pompeii for a full day trip from Rome? We would also like to see Sorrento if possible on the same trip. Is this doable? Thanks

Posted by
23290 posts

It is doable but pushing it since Pompeii is massive and can suck up most of a day. It is the high speed to Naples and the local commuter train to Pompeii. Drops you right at the door and the same train will take you to Sprrento.

Posted by
32213 posts

Debbie, While it may be "doable", it's going to be a VERY long day! As Frank mentioned, you'll need to take the regular train to Naples, and then transfer to the Circumvesuviana commuter train which will get you to both Pompeii and Sorrento. Sorrento is the last stop on the line that goes to Pompeii. The travel time in each direction will be ~4 hours when all factors are considered, so that would only leave a few hours each in Sorrento and Pompeii. Happy travels!

Posted by
515 posts

The CV ride is 1/2 hour Naples-Pompei and 1/2 hr Pompei-Sorrento

Posted by
5 posts

I thought that the high speed train only took 80minutes from Rome to Naples and then another very short jaunt to Pompeii. You say it takes 4 hours?

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Zolopho. Just what I needed. All in all it looks like maybe a little over 2 hours for commute times.

Posted by
32213 posts

Debbie, I used the 4-hour time as a "rough estimate" to cover not only the actual travel times, but the waiting times, difference in times between arrival of one train and departure of the other, walking to and from the sites, etc. It was an estimated overall time, rather than a specific time (that's why I used the "~" mark). Cheers!

Posted by
515 posts

FYI Pompeii Scavi ("scavi" = "digs") is your CV stop. Not the Pompei stop. The hour ride Sorrento-Napoli Centrale wll be as much fun as an hour on your DART

Posted by
257 posts

The ES from Rome to Naples take 1:15 and the train form Naples to Sorrento is 55 minutes to 1:05. So the total time on the train for the round trip will take over 4 hours and 30 minutes. Plus the time buy the tickets and changing the train. I think it will take over six hours.

Posted by
1116 posts

I actually did the Pompeii day trip from Rome (I joined a guided tour as I was honestly too lazy/ overwhelmed to try to do it myself). I thought it was well worth it, by bus it was about 3 hrs each way. I don't know about fitting in Sorrento the same day, I think that would be too much.

Posted by
54 posts

We also took the "lazy" approach to Pompeii: we checked out of our hotel in Rome, headed south on bus tour package to Naples (about 45 min in that city) then on to Pompeii for a guided three hours plus tour. Lunch was included mid-trip. After touring old Pompeii, we retrieved our bags from the bus and checked into the Hotel Diana for three relaxing days in Pompeii, visiting the ruins at various times of the day as well as Herculaneum by local train. It was a highlight of our three weeks in Italy. As an aside, the very brief jaunt into Naples was a good introduction. Pompeii was followed by four nights on Ischia with our trip wrapping up in Naples for two nights - great city, fun people, wonderful food, and, of course, the Archeological
Museum. Hope this helps.