Please sign in to post.

Rome to Ostia Antica

I have a few days in Rome (8/21-8/23) staying at a hotel a few blocks west of the Termini Station and want to go to Ostia Antica. I will not have a rental car. I tried Googling for info on how to best make the trip, bus, train or taxi. I really didn't find the info I needed. I'm leaning on using the train, but I can't find the details on what train, time and station in Rome to start at, that has a stop at Ostia Antica. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Posted by
2173 posts

Rick Steves' guidebook give you the exact information you are looking for.

Posted by
119 posts

It is really easy to get to Ostia Antica. I walked from the Pantheon to the Pirimide station. From there you want the train that is going to C. Columbo. Get off at the Ostia Antica stop. You will look for a blue sky bridge that crosses the road. There is a small cafe right next to it. I suggest getting a water or a snack if you need one as the bar/cafe in Ostia Antica park is still closed. Cross the sky bridge and keep going straight. You will come to the road. Keep going straight, pass the restaurant. Then turn left and you will see it. A very short walk from the train station.

Posted by
82 posts

I did this by train a couple years back. The Rome side of it is very easy and then on the other side use google maps to navigate from the train station to the site (or follow the other tourists). Be warned that there is no shade, so you want to do this very early on a hot day.

Posted by
265 posts

Taxi to station, train to Ostica. Easy Peasy

Posted by
1232 posts

You can also get back on the train and head to the Ostia beach after a day of sweating.

Posted by
23267 posts

....Be warned that there is no shade, so you want to do this very early on a hot day..... What happened to all the trees? When we were there is was heavy shaded with lots of trees like a park. Are you sure you are not thinking of Pompeii?

Posted by
3109 posts

I've just looked at it on Google Streetview, and it looks like there are many tress in the archeological area.

Posted by
82 posts
Posted by
507 posts

Your Rome metro pass gives you access to the transportation from the Piramide station (Metro B) to Ostia Antica. As a poster above said, follow the crowd to Ostia Antica from there or use a map app. It's very easy to find and navigate. I never thought about there not being a lot of shade, but it's there if you're looking for it--Roman pines can be found near the graveyard and theater. There are buildings (ruins) which you can duck into, a museum, and restaurant which has low quality, expensive food. I never eat there--well, made that mistake once. Take snacks. There's a small place near the station where you can grab a sandwich and drink.