Please sign in to post.

Rome to Orvieto

We are considering taking the train to Orvieto. What train do we take; how long does it take; and how much is it? Once we arrive in Orvieto is everything within walking distance? Thanks

Posted by
32212 posts

judy,

As previously mentioned, it would be a good idea to delete your duplicate Post before it attracts any replies.

Orvieto is an easy trip by train from Rome. You can buy a ticket for the Funiculuar at the entrance (it's good for 70 minutes and I believe covers the Minibus at the top also). I didn't find the walk from the Funicular station (close to St. Patrick's Well) to Piazza Duomo too difficult.

You might want to copy the Map out of the Guidebook so that you'll have an idea where all the sights are located.

Happy travels!

Posted by
102 posts

Hello Judy,
Greeting from the eastern part of the Keystone State. Italian trains are very easy to negotiate (our ticket agent in Rome spoke excellent English). We flew into Rome last March then trained up to Florence. A couple days later we traveled to Orvieto then onto Rome for our connection home. Orvieto was a very nice experience. Be sure to tour the caves under the town. Lots of great photos all around the town of the valley below.

Jim

Posted by
102 posts

Hello Judy,
Greeting from the eastern part of the Keystone State. Italian trains are very easy to negotiate (our ticket agent in Rome spoke excellent English). We flew into Rome last March then trained up to Florence. A couple days later we traveled to Orvieto then onto Rome for our connection home. Orvieto was a very nice experience. Be sure to tour the caves under the town. Lots of great photos all around the town of the valley below.

Jim

Posted by
1317 posts

Hi Judy,

We loved Orvieto and taking the train is easy! You can take either a regional train or an intercity (IC) train. The ICs take about 70 minutes, the regionals take about 80, so the time difference isn't all that much. The ICs are almost twice as much money but in second class is still only 13.50 euro so if the train times work better for you, they're still an option (regional second class is 7.10). You can pay up for first class (11e for R trains, 18.50 for IC) but there really isn't much different between first and second.

The train station is at the bottom of the city. You have to rock climb to get to the main town. Or you can take the funicular. :-) Everything is in walking distance, assuming you are used to walking and depending on where you plan to go. I think the city is about two miles across. There are some slanted roads that go up or down hill, so if anyone in your party has difficulty walking, that could be an issue. We walked everywhere without any trouble.

St. Patrick's Well is near the funicular station, while the Duomo and most of the museums are further back in the city around the church. We enjoyed just wandering down side streets with no map and seeing what surprises came our way.

Posted by
1018 posts

The train to Orvieto is about 75 minutes away and there are many daily. You can buy your tickets at the machine kiosks and you can choose any of about 6 or 7 languages. The whole process is easy, easy.

Once you arrive at the Orvieto station you can purchase funicular tickets at the station cafe or in the funicular station for the trip up the hill.

To the right of the funicular station up the hill you will find a tourist info place with free maps. To the right and down a bit is the Pozzo di San Patirzzio, or St. Patrick's Well.

Orvieto is an easy walking town and an easy day trip. Two years ago I stayed there for 3 nights, which was 1 night too long. I also felt it was an expensive place, as well. It is interesting and very quaint and beautiful. The panoramas from the town walls are beautiful any time of the day.

Buon viaggio,

RB