Please sign in to post.

Rome to Naples January 2012 -- early trains?

We'd like to day-trip from Rome to Naples and Pompei in January, ideally around the 8th. When I check the trenitalia site the earliest train I see is at 09:00 and the last train out of Naples is at 19:17. That doesn't seems like a tight squeeze for a day trip. Is this typical of the off-season or should I hold out hope for an updated schedule with more trains?

Posted by
2176 posts

For a day trip, you're probably going to want the high-speed train between Rome and Naples. I believe the earliest from Rome is at 7:35 a.m. and the last from Naples is at 18:50. Other trains leave Rome as early as 5:00 a.m. and depart Naples as late as 21:50. Not sure where you're looking at schedules...

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Janet. I'm looking on trenitalia.com. If I look for trains this month (November) I do find many trains, starting as early as 7:35am as you mention. However, when I search in January I see few trains, and the earliest is at 9:00am. I'm not sure whether I just need to wait for an updated schedule or whether there just aren't many trains at that time of year.

Posted by
1127 posts

Only a partial schedule has been published for trains past the middle of December. Closer to your travel date you will find more trains listed.

Posted by
4152 posts

Trenitalia always does a schedule change in December so many of the legs are not posted until just before the schedule change. After December 12th or so you will be able to find the earlier trains to Naples for January and later. If you check dates before December 12th you can get a good idea of the number of trains and the times. The new schedules don't change by much. Donna

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Sam and Donna. I'll tentatively plan using the current schedulesand check in December for any updates. Appreciate the help :)

Posted by
2176 posts

Donna's right. I'd be very surprised if there were fewer trains in January than there are in November. Have fun!

Posted by
203 posts

I don't know if the schedule will "fill out" closer to your travel date or not. I can tell you that when I did a day trip to Pompeii in October, we got the high speed out of Termini at 7:35 a.m. and returned to Rome on the last high speed train,which was at 9:30 p.m. I wouldn't recommend taking the last train, though. The weather turned ugly in the evening as storms moved up the coast and there were significant delays and some cancellations. Fortunately, our train was just delayed, but if it had been cancelled, we would have been in a bad spot.